Thursday, November 02, 2006

hideaway

It's very rare that I get to travel for work, and then when I do, I am travelling on a day trip to Skid Row or the Tenderloin to connect with other housing providers so my days are often full of shelter visits, SRO rehabs, hotel conversions. Glamorous, the lot of it. But I like it because it's a new face of homelessness, with a different style or rhythm, and it energizes me and keeps me alert. I like seeing how others are making this crazy thing work. Because it's hard won, no matter what community we are in.

This week I am in the midwest - researching best practices before we begin pre-development on a new housing project. Same sort of scenarios, but the most excellent thing is I have my own hotel room for two entire nights. I shouldn't be gloating about the personal time but hell yes, I am gloating about the personal time. It's 5p and I am in for the night, perusing the room service menu, the movie options, ignoring the gym downstairs, and in general, settling myself in for a virtual carnival of blogs - to get to really sit and read what others are saying, while not having M beat me on the head w/ a spatula, or jump on top of the keyboard, or eat a magic marker because I am shirking my parental duties. I am leaving that for J-Dog tonight. (Baby, I am loving you in this moment).

It's amazing how selfish I feel now, but over the smallest things. How much more protective I am of myself, and what I am willing to do, and what I am keeping close and tight. And tonight, that is all about my personal space. I am happy to go out for beers tomorrow night, and shoot the homeless shit with others in the field, but tonight, I am in a cocoon, and I'll be floating over your way.

And the poem is cooking up nicely. I'll give it another day and then compile it. I must say, it's given me chills so far, the way some of you turn a phrase is delicious.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...eat a magic marker..."

Hey, that didn't really happen--did it?

Oh, too funny.

Anonymous said...

Eventually, I would like to hear more about your work ~ the strategies and such ~ but fully understand how an occasional night of "personal space" can sooth a weary soul... :)


Peace,

TG

Lucia said...

I just love being in hotel rooms by myself. I perch on the bed, survey the TV offerings, order room service, and am the queen of all I survey. Pretty sweet, huh?

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it, Momma....you get that whole.bed.to.yourself.

Deeeeeee-lish!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow... I can't even begin to imagine the peace of a hotel room by myself for an entire evening AND the whole night... live it up!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy. Every. Stolen. Minute.

Oooo, my word verifictaion is "fawcr" as in you lucky fawcr getting a hotel room all to yourself.

KC said...

Enjoy the sweetness, Jen.

scarbie doll said...

There was an article in the NY Times on how women are going on business trips to decompress and get some "me time." You might want to check it out. Though, they were all Manhattan power moms in the article (somewhat annoying).

flutter said...

the only thing better than some "takingwaymorethanmyfairshareofthebed" time, is a bubble bath. bubble.bath.

Lillithmother said...

Yes, clearly the guilt of having some alone time is eatign you up...almost! :-)

Lil

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your cocoon time :)

acumamakiki said...

Happy for you Jen, that you get this alone time and that it coincides with work that you love. I think it must be fascinating to see how the homeless are helped in other portions of the country; so easy I would think, to assume it's the same everywhere, when it's not. Enjoy the rest of your trip and your time alone and do share your findings when you return. BTW, I love your poetry project, but am not good with words in that way, so haven't joined.
Safe travels home! And if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods for a work-related trip, please let me know!

Anonymous said...

I am happy for you Jen. As much as our families mean to us, sometimes we don't realize how important it is to be alone every once and awhile to recharge and "absorb" the silence of our own mind. I look forward to every moment I can get, as i am sure you do. Have fun tomorrow night (well, tonight) going out.

Mrs. Chicky said...

The chance to sit along in a hotel room free to do nothing at all sounds wonderfully sinful to me. Enjoy your "me" time while you've got it.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that I can't even speak.

Momish said...

Enjoy. Relax. Indulge. It's good to hear you taking advantage of your me time, guiltfree and loving it. I never second guess my free time, because I always feel I deserve it. You deserve it!

P.S. Sorry I didn't contribute to the poem. Too intimidated by the brilliance of others. If I muster up the nerve, feel free to delete mine if is screws it all up. We'll see.

J Fife said...

A bed overflowing with pillows, the flicker of late-night television and a box of pepperoni pizza fill my perfect night alone. Enjoy without guilt!

Deezee said...

I think this is a much neglected topic, the way in which parents must leave that role to flourish. The recharging the occasional departure nurtures. The need to not feel guilty for needing to be 'just one' some of the time.

I went through a huge examination of this back in July when my son was away at camp for two weeks and wrote about it back then. I believe out alone time serves us, both as people and as parents...

Anonymous said...

You mean you get to sit in front of your computer and browse the internet at will without a toddler trying to bang on the keys or try to push the lid closed or wail loudly because you're not devoting every second of the day to him?

Wow. So jealous.

And hating my husband a teensy bit -- he who has to fly to the far east on a business trip next weekend for a whole 8 days. He'll have this luxury in the evenings.

crazymumma said...

Hey, I'm in the room next door, I'll send the chips thru the adjoining door....
It's ok to take time for you...