the needs of man

J Dog came home with a funny story last night. As he's leaving work in a hurry (mostly because I've been sick the last two days w/ an offshoot of walking pneumonia courtesy of M and I called begging for reinforcements) a client approached him rather aggressively on his way out the door.

Guy: I am a man, and I like to c*ome. (Humor the edits, I am saving weird googlers the disappointment of not finding something better to read)
J: Excuse me?
Guy: I am a man, and I like to c*ome. (I am on the floor by now, picturing this and J's face)
J: I am confused why you are telling me this, because it makes me feel uncomfortable (good one, J). Are you saying you are like to e*jac/ulate?
Guy: I am a man, and I like to c*ome.
J: Ok, Guy, you obviously need to talk about this but I am not sure how to respond. Are you saying you like to c*ome or you need to c*ome?
Guy: I need to.
J: Ah, ok. So that is different. I am hearing you say you are having trouble c*oming. Is that true?
Guy: Yes.
J: Ok. There are many reasons that might be occuring (synopsis of medication contraindications and so forth) How about we talk about some other things you can try safely and privately so that you are able to take care of yourself?

Bless him. I think I might not have stopped to try and flesh (pun intended) this one out, if it were me. But he saw it as a treatment opportunity and took it.

And then I wondered how many therapeutic moments we all miss in the course of our daily lives where kids/friends/co-workers/clients reach out tentatively (or otherwise), and we don't take the time to allow it to unravel because it makes us feel uncomfortable? I am betting I do it more often than I think - and something this overt is a good reminder.