spiders and moon

I always wondered what rituals I'd create with my own family - as rituals and magic and fun were somewhat lost on me as a girl. I knew I wanted to create something different in my own family, to make life as magical for M as possible.

I can't claim we have an ocean of creativity and wonder freefalling all around us, but we do have this:

Every night before bed, M and J-Dog go outside and sit on our porch. It's their time, and I choose not to invade it but every so often I hear lifts and lilts of their voices. This is something M looks forward to every night. Just as it's getting late she starts asking for spiders and moon and off they go into the dark majesty of the evening.

Last night I asked what it was they spoke of. J said they talk about sounds and bugs and cats and spiders and the moon and cars and sirens. And how she sits still in his lap and holds his hands in hers. And then we realized we'd created a ritual - one where over the years the talk will expand to feelings and friends and boys or girls and love and life and politics and travel....and that they'll always have that time together and she'll have that to look forward to, every single night. Her time with her father, where anything is open for discussion. In fact, they are outside again tonight as I type this post; M with her blanket and chatter and J-Dog with his parka and heart of gold.

And how very blessed that makes us, safe and warm and loving, in our own corner of darkness and light.