the ho ho-downer

It gives me pause this time of year - the triggering of the said "holiday spirit" that seems to encompass everything and everyone. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to knock it (really), and philanthropy is generally always a good thing, but why are we hell bent on it for only 3 weeks out of the year?

A grinch-ier sort might be tormented by the hypocrisy, but I really do feel it's unintentional. It's inherent to our culture, to remind ourselves one time a year that others are LESS FORTUNATE.

Our culture needs a smackdown, not the individuals and groups that are trying to do good things for others right now. I really do know that. I do. We couldn't survive without you.

But still.

The newspapers are calling: hey, we are really interested in how you are caring for the homeless right now. Really? Call me back in February, it'll still be freezing then. People are calling: we really want to come and serve food on Xmas. Really? How about December 28th? Or January 6th? We've got openings then.

And here I am sounding exactly how I didn't want to sound. It's the concept I am frustrated with, not the people. That on January 1st we are trained to get back on our own individual life-tracks with heads down and lights off. And I want to figure out a way to keep those lights on.

The Just Post nominations are one way I pledge to do that. Re-awakening my mission of advocating for affordable housing outside of my comfort zone is another. Taking a moment to visit some new friends is yet one more.

We really can stretch the love out all year round. We can beat the damn system. We can.

Join me.