Friday, January 12, 2007

sin-ner

Sin tagged me for a meme, but I have trouble following directions so I asked her if I could answer this instead. She's good like that.

1. Do you like the look and the contents of your blog? I like the look, but the credit goes to Denguy. He's genius. Contents? I struggle with that. I love some of what I am trying to do, and struggle with other parts of it. I want it to matter.

2-Does your family know about your blog? Hell, no.

3-Can you tell your friends about your blog? I probably could, but I don't. The only person who knows I have a blog is my tsunami friend (and she doesn't have the URL) and J. That may change, but it's intensely personal to me.

4-Do you just read the blogs of those who comment on your blog? Nope. I read several blogs regularly that I never comment on, and who have no idea I exist. I comment on some blogs and I don't think they've ever been my way. And I read the blogs of the folks who comment too. The latter is more personal, but I like it all.

5-Did your blog positively affect your mind? Yes. I had no idea all of you existed and I can't tell you what that has done for me.

6-What does the number of visitors to your blog mean? Sometimes I think it means people like what I have to say. Sometimes I think it's random. I blogged for a few months without a meter and had no idea who was there. Sometimes too much information can be a bad thing, and can compromise what you are trying to do for yourself. Sometimes it helps in figuring out where you want to go next. Suffice to say I don't know what it means.

7-Do you imagine what other bloggers look like? Totally. When I get to see glimpses of your yumminess I eat it up.

8-Do you think blogging has any real benefit? I think it can. I think it has a lot of personal benefit. I think it provides community. I think it makes me think. And I have a place to go to learn. Yes, I do.

9-Do you think that the blogosphere is a stand alone community separated from the real world? For me it is, for now, as I've kept it seperate. But I think there is a lot of overlap. We discuss real world issues all the time, so in that sense, no way.

10-Do some political blogs scare you? I enjoy them. If scared means being totally floored by other peoples' ability to speak articulately and succinctly about political issues, then yep.

11-Do you think that criticizing your blog is useful? I think if you are afraid to cause a negative reaction you might not be expressing your whole self. You have to be willing to get your game on if you want to go all the way. I am still working with that.

12-Have you ever thought about what would happen to your blog in case you died? I have, and because no one knows about it except J, and he doesn't have the password (and would presumably be so grief stricken he'll never recover anyways) I wonder if it would just fade away and some of you would say "what ever happened to that one plus two chick"...

13-Which blogger had the greatest impression on you? Deb over at i obsess was one of my first reads and motivated me to start blogging myself. But there are many others who move me in unspeakable ways. I am humbled all the time by the honesty and humor and passion.

14-Which blogger do you think is the most similar to you? I'd love to answer this, but it's a bit egotistical of me and a bit unfair to the women I'd be stalking by answering. Let's just say I'd prefer to emulate a few of you lovelies.

15-Name a song you want to listen to? I have been so turned on by Leonard Cohen's Tower of Song lately. I mean, floored and grooved and in love. Lyrics, sound, all of it. That cat can groove. Plus U2 sings backup. In fact, you should go have a listen. You'll thank me.

I tag KC and Chani mostly because I am so curious to your answers to these questions. If it's not your thing, I know you know I am cool with that too.

19 comments:

QT said...

I love your answers, my blog is personal too, only one IRL reader. I know you put a lot of thought and passion into this thing, and I (along with many others) love coming here and getting inspired or moved.

And I like tht you tagged Chani.

acumamakiki said...

This is a cool meme and I liked your answers. Like you, there are few people in my real life that know I have a blog. 3 cyber friends, my husband and a friend, the later two are SO not interested in what I write that I don't feel a need to edit or sensor.

Hel said...

I told my sister about my blog and then a friend of her that I have never met started reading it.

It sudenly made me feel very vulnerable.

I realised that anyone I know could be reading my blog and that still feels a bit strange.

My blog has helped me write more which is why I started it. So I'll postpone worrying about confidentiality issue for now.

KC said...

I loved reading your answers to this. I eat up any juicy morsel of getting-to-know-Jen-better.

I'm definitely game.

xo

Thailand Gal said...

I remember how I felt when "P The Target Guy" read my blog. I felt very vulnerable and it wasn't comfortable. There is an element of anonymity to this that makes it both cathartic and a learning tool.

More on this when I answer the questions next week. Thank you for thinking of me. :)


Peace,

~Chani

flutter said...

You are way cool, like that.

Momish said...

Now I understand your comment regarding answering these questions later. I am slow like that.

Love your answer, as always.

meno said...

Good answers.
My blog is also anonymous because that is what i need in order to try and express myself honestly.

bubandpie said...

I think I'll have to check out Tower of Song: take hubby's favourite singer, add in my favourite band - it can't miss.

Laurie said...

My entire family knows about my blog and I suppose it does keep me from expressing myself fully. I know I would complain about my relationship (or the lack thereof) a lot more if he didn't read it once in a blue moon. ;-)

swampwitch said...

Loved reading your MeMe...I, too, didn't have a site meter for a long time. It really freaked me out when I saw that other people who weren't commenting were reading what I had to say. And that they continue to come back.

Julie Pippert said...

Jen, I was listening to Pacifica today and this guy from San Fran was on talking about initiatives for the homeless and I SO WISH I could recall his name and agency but I've been to Chuck E Cheese since then which is basically the equivalent of electric shock treatment for me so I have NO IDEA so sorry but I TOTALLY thought of you (and this is EXACTLY how I talk in real life only with a weird New England/Southern accent).

Anyway it was really timely because I'm trying to find housing for this family just now and am tagging about a million agencies and holy crap sometimes this is tough but the things he said galvanized me. He was very interesting.

jen said...

Hi JUlie,

It was Gavin Newsom, San Fran's mayor, an amazing advocate for the homeless and responsible for rehousing hundreds of them in recent years through a variety of creative ways. Oh, and he's a hottie, too.

urban-urchin said...

my husband knows i have a blog but told me he's afraid to read it- so i told him not to. no one else in my family knows i blog and one friend reads regularly (I was shocked when she brought up something I had written about and then told me she reads all the time).

I don't want to feel like I can't write things that I am thinking about because people will be angry, hurt or know too much of my inner workings. I like it like this.

crazymumma said...

Leonard huh. He is one deep dude. Canadian as well. aye?

crazymumma said...

As well, and on a sincere note. I just want to say that re #12. If you and your blog disappeared, I for one would truly saddened. There are a handful of you who I cannot do without, I will not disclose who cause that is much too political, but you can safely assume that you are one of them.

Jenijen said...

Your content is amazing. I'm delurking to say you are absolutely one of my favorites. (I share your love of L.Cohen, too)

Julie Pippert said...

Oh Jen. Hottie and an advocate. I had to look him up. Wow.

Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere not quite so...errr here. But then I think, you know, if all the liberals lived in liberal places then what?

lildb said...

seriously - I don't know how to react when you say that I've inspired you.

it's you who inspire me. daily.

to the point that I am generally incapable of commenting on your posts -- I never feel worthy.