Saturday, February 24, 2007

el canadianos

Our last stop in El Cuco and our last night in El Salvador was met with intense amusement. We stumbled upon a run down little hotel and found a family of Canadians who'd been living there for the past few weeks on holiday.

The family, desperate for english communication I believe, immediately scooped us up and rendered us kin. Grandma C was a gardener by trade, in fact, she possesses a legal license to harvest 8 pounds of marijuana (Canada rocks more and more every single day) and Grandpa C was recently retired and absolutely in love with El Salvador.

At sunset the women grabbed me for their nightly ritual. They would go down to the ocean as the sun was setting and round up a bunch of El Salvadorian children and go for a swim in the crashing waves.

How could I resist? So we all rushed into the surf, children, grandparents, adults, three countries together under one vast ocean, laughing, screaming, splashing....it was glorious. In fact, at one point after being pummeled by some waves I stood up and yelled This Is Glorious! To which Grandma C grasped me in a warm wet hug and said yes, child. yes.

And it was. Children riding on our shoulders, waves crashing, forgetting for a while that home is on the horizon, responsibilities, things that weigh on my heart. For a few moments, all was truly free.

It should more often be this way.

22 comments:

scribbit said...

I love your writing.

Oh, The Joys said...

Jen it sounds divine. I know it was... are you home? Is the smell of M the sweetest thing? Tell all.

metro mama said...

So it should.

I never feel more free than when I'm in water. Nothing like it.

ECR said...

That absolutely sounds glorious. I want to be a friendly traveler.

flutter said...

Yes it absolutely should be

crazymumma said...

Are you home?

Next time M will be riding your shoulders into the waves.
And it sounds like you met some pretty cool Canadians....

as to your comment over at my place? No tears or sadness necessary. Pride girl. Only pride...

KC said...

oh, jen. How amazing.

Bless you and your incredible trip.

NotSoSage said...

There's so much beauty in the small moments like these.

urban-urchin said...

Yes it should. What a wonderful time you've had, you lucky thing.

Mad Hatter said...

Yep, we crazy Canadians. Always smkoing dope and jumping into oceans.

meno said...

Oh.

I miss the ocean. I want to swim in the ocean again with the crashing waves and the happy people.

Lucky you.

s@bd said...

oh.
i love canadians. and the ocean.

and i simply yearn to go to el salvador now.

thank you!

Girl con Queso said...

Wow. How very beautiful!

he said...

What a gift to open your site and receive this mail.

For a moment I was there with you. I felt that in the moment joy.

I hope your homecoming is as full of joy.

acumamakiki said...

that sounds like the most exquisite evening ever, a true gift. and i love grandma C and her 8 lb. of legal growing ~ canada is so progressive compared to our ass-backwards country. i'm glad you had that amazing experience.

ewe are here said...

Your whole trip sounds glorious!

I love that you're sharing this.

Mrs. Chicky said...

I sounds glorious. Wet and all.

Laurie said...

It sounds like a splendid time. I am so happy for you.

Julie Pippert said...

Wow. What a beautiful icture in my mind's eye, and what an amazing sensation in my heart's spirit.

Emily said...

Oh, this was beautiful. You capture this moment perfectly. I especially liked your line: three countries together under one vast ocean.

QT said...

The moments we all hope to have on vacation...glad you got the chance and it renewed your spirit.

Susanne said...

Oh yes, glorious.