Thursday, February 15, 2007

el salvador es muy bueno

Yes, we are still alive....

It seems like it´s been forever since I´ve written, or read any of your lovely writing. Truth be told, this is the first moment I´ve had access to a computer. And given the spottiness of the connection I am not sure I´ll be able to do much visiting quite yet.

El Salvador....wow. What a wonderful little country. We´ve been staying in villages and in off the beaten path guesthouses and have seen ruins and churches and cities and beaches and volcanos. In fact, I fell down on a volcano hike today and am quite whiney about it, but we´ve remedied that by finding some cabanas on the eastern coast and will make merry tonight and tomorrow.

This has been a terrific trip so far. Every person we´ve encountered has been so lovely, the places and towns and architecture all sad and inspiring and broken and perfect all at the same time.

Lucia, I´ve had (a few) pupusas in your honor, and I´ve toasted you all under El Salvadorian skies. I haven´t had much chance to find access so far, so we´ll see where we end up next week and how much better a job I can do of keeping in touch.

If you´ve ever considered this a vacation spot, think harder. It´s a little secret. More Canadians here...in fact I met a woman from Toronto and it was all I could do not to say DO YOU KNOW MAD? CRAZY MUM? But thankfully, I restrained.

Missing you even though I can´t do much visiting just yet.

But even here, you are with me. I love this great big world of ours.

25 comments:

ECR said...

And the great big world gets a little smaller.

I miss you and can't wait for the stories.

Z said...

I'm glad you're having a good time. Lovely to hear from you. xx

mamatulip said...

I was thinking about you today! Glad you're having a good time. :)

(I'm lovin' the book...)

Joker The Lurcher said...

woof woof or maybe hola! not sure what the latter means so if its rude i apologise!

NotSoSage said...

Oh man, major one plus two withdrawal going on here, but I'm so glad that you're both having a wonderful time!

crazymumma said...

aaaahhh

like salve for my chilly feet to read your warm words.

sigh.

KC said...

delicioso!

(is it bad that most of my spanish is borrowed from Dora the Explorer?)

Miss you tons, but did get your mail which warmed me up toasty today.

Pupusas rock. (did I tell you we live in a pocket of central american eateries?)

meno said...

I am thrilled that you are having a good time. Try to put some of this vacation feeling in a safe place to take out when you are back into your regular life.

Thailand Gal said...

Glad to know you are safe and well. Enjoy! :)


Peace,

~Chani

Mad Hatter said...

Funny even in a foreign land. I'll just let all 2.5 million of my buds in Toronto know how I'm doing so they'll have that handy next time they're on vacation.

Glad to hear your are having a great time.

flutter said...

We love you, too.

Denguy said...

Fun in the sun, eh. I hope the trip there was good.

hel said...

So good to hear your voice again. I have been wondering how things are going.

Thank you for taking us with you. Maybe I'm getting a bit of El Salvador sun in my sleep :)

Susanne said...

Nice to hear from you.

kristen said...

Missing you and your words. Glad you both are safe and having an amazing time. I almost always get hurt when we travel abroad, consider your fall on the volcano a 'souvenir'.

xo

ewe are here said...

If you happen to see a nice American woman, mid-30s, long brown hair, working with orphans - say 'hi'. That's my lovely sister. She managed to jump on the El Salvador trip after all! :-)

Glad you're having a good time. Everyone needs to get away once in a while... I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

Bob said...

Thrilled to hear of your fantastic trip! Can't wait to hear the details.

penelopeto said...

glad you're having a good time and that the t-dot is being well-repped. can't wait to hear more.

Juliness said...

Enjoy, sister...and tell us all about it when you return.

Jo said...

Oh such fun:) And the memories you'll have forever and ever...

Sandra said...

I go away for a while and find you are in El Salvador. With a bunch of Canucks from TO?!? (we are cool vacationers ya know).

Sounds so fabulous. Cannot wait to hear more!

Deezee said...

your blog address may be "droolstreet" but I'm the one drooling now!

Thanks for a glimpse at your adventure

Lillithmother said...

OH, it's so great to hear from you!! I admit I miss you and your thoughts too...but yes stay in the moment...and please bring us back lots of photo souveniers!

Laurie said...

So glad to hear you are alive and well!

rpbroz said...

Have you come to Suchitoto yet? I live here. Check out this site http://www.gaesuchitoto.com for more information or drop me a note at rpbroz@gmail.com
Hope to meet you
Robert Broz