Thursday, April 26, 2007

southern comfort

I am leaving in a few hours for a short business trip to the southern part of the country. It's part of ongoing research I am doing for a project I am working on. I've been to a few places already; Skid Row, before that, Denver. And now, the South.

The South. I've not spent much time in the South so I am pretty excited. New places, even if it's only domestically turn me on. That, and the fact that I get to stay in a hotel alone for two nights. Well that, and the fact that I don't have to be at work.

And aside from all of the things I've just mentioned, I've finagled an invitation to dinner at the House Of Joy. I consider this rather monumental because I've never met a blogger in real life. I'd like to wax on about feeling nervous, but in truth, I'm not (yet). And of course I'll snoop through her closets and such and report back. Because, duh, that's what you do when you meet a blogger for the first time, right? Snoop and report back. I think I read that somewhere.

She's never seen a picture of me (and believe me, have I got an outfit all prepared for dinner. Picture hooker-fabulous). I figured that will give her neighbors pause and it's the least I can do for The Mayor. I am also thinking I should hold up a big sign at the train station identifying myself.

You know, something like Fresh out of Celebrity Rehab or Serbian Mail Order Bride. Of course, other sign recommendations are welcome. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

26 comments:

slouching mom said...

ok, so now I am jealous.

you and joy? that'd just be a mind-blowing combo.

very, very cool.

you'll have to report back.

cinnamon gurl said...

Mind blowing combo indeed.

I've only met one blogger so far: Sage. And I obsessed over my clothing in a way I haven't done in 15 years at least.

Have a blast! And report back, obviously.

Mayberry said...

How about Park Ranger in Disguise?

Have fun!

meno said...

Two whole nights alone in a hotel? Oh what fun!

I will be meeting my first real-life blogger soon too. It should be interesting.

Blog Antagonist said...

Ahem. If you'd like to make it a threesome, let me know. It's quite rude to invite oneself to a gtg, I know, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. :?)

Karen Forest said...

You guys will have a blast!

I have to agree with Mayberry.

I think dressing as a Park Ranger would be great. Just DO NOT plan on returning home with outfit.

Mrs. Chicken said...

totally effing jealous! I want pictures. I demand evidence of this.

K said...

Have a good trip. What project? If a house full of kids sounds like your idea of a good time, I'm in the book.

Bob said...

keep an eye out, I'll wave as you pass by.

Mad Hatter said...

I just hope Jess shows up wearing the I-da-Ho t-shirt. Have fun. Ooo and like Sin, I am obssissive about what I'm going to wear for such occassions.

QT said...

OK, how excited (ok,jealous) am I that you get to meet Jess AND The Mayor!!!!

Bed all to yourself? Running a close second this time.

I second (or third?) the suggestion by Mayberry. Also, DONT get on an elevator with that woman -she will let loose the mighty wind and you will be done for!

Tabba said...

I'm freaking jealous too.

How 'bout Idaho...Udaho?

my stream said...

Sorry, I can't picture you all hooker-fabulous. I picture you with long, loose hair, a pair of really comfy pants and a tye-dye t-shirt. :)

Have FUN!

mamatulip said...

Sorry, that was me above.

Oh, The Joys said...

If Jen shows up in a National Park Ranger uniform I am going to be mightily aroused - what a conundrum that would be!

Penny. said...

I wanna come!

And, why don't you ever post pics, Jen? We wanna see you in your hooker-fabulous! Show us the girls!!

Kyla said...

Sounds glorious!! :)

liv said...

okay, sister, can I just confess to feeling a bit slighted that you'll be so close to me and yet much closer to Jess??? if I knowed you was coming to my neck of the woods I'da baked you a cake!

christina said...

how about... gorgeous mommy blogger. Bubble letters, neon orange paper.
:)

flutter said...

Oh, my god how I would love to be an hors d'oeuvres at THAT dinner party! You'll love the south, good people come from those parts *puts away her very subtle twang*

KC said...

How fun! Hope you both have a great time and we need pictures. Dude.

urban-urchin said...

Federal "Dana" Management Agency.

Joker The Lurcher said...

i love the mail order bride idea!

i traveled down from boston to miami by train once (with a few stops) and i've never forgotten waking up at 3am and looking out of the train window and seeing that the train had stopped in savannah, georgia. i felt like i was in a novel!

NotSoSage said...

Sooo jealous.

I love a girl who kisses AND tells.

crazymumma said...

That is a dinner party I want to be at. Damn.

Go with Serbian mail order bride. It made me laugh.

(oh and Denguy were at the same restaurant pub last night but with different groups of friends...and ....and...so there...go off to the south and have fun with other bloggers. Humph.)

The Expatriate Chef said...

You know, if you ever get out this way, you can have dinner at my place. Joy, too! I'll make you a better menu than the one I devised for Dubya. You'll make far better company, I am sure!