Friday, April 27, 2007

turbulence

Spending all day on a plane is no one's idea of a good time, but it's even less so when you have 12 minutes to make your connecting flight (run, Forrest, run) and then are seated in the very last row of the plane amidst two entire rows of an up and coming hip hop band on their way to a big show. Ahem, thank you, IN COACH. If y'all are such SUPERSTARS, why are you in COACH?
(Note the y'all. I've been practicing)

But they were first class all the way. Singing, rapping, promoting, yo. After the initial damn, finally, a female in the house comment they ignored me in a showing off sort of way for about an hour and then suddenly realized I was still there crammed into the back corner.

Hey, how old are you?
37
Damn, you look pretty good for 37. I thought you were 25.
Have I mentioned how much I love your music. I love your music, yo.
Why're you going to the South?
I work in some homeless shelters and I want to design a new one. Research, basically.
Damn. The homeless. I see a lot of homeless people. Proceed to list all the places homeless people exist. That takes a while. I nod like the hula girl on a dashboard.

So I figured I had nothing to lose by asking them if they ever give money away to the homeless, and surprisingly, it sparked an interesting conversation. They all said they hadn't, but by the end of the conversation one of the MTV'ers said Yo, I think I've come around on some of my views. I am going to give a homeless person money next time and see what happens.
It might not be a huge event the first time, so maybe you'll have to do it a couple times. You know, just roll with it.
Word.

So all in all, this 37 year old felt rather accomplished for a 25 year old. And she also scored a free ticket to the show. Not that I'll get to use it, but it's always nice to be asked.

31 comments:

Binky said...

Your dialogue is great. I can totally hear it. "Yo, I think I've come around on some of my views." That cracks me up.

I think you have the same effect here on this blog. I definitely think about things from a different perspective much more often in my every day life because of the issues bring up.

pgoodness said...

LOL. See, you make a difference no matter where you are! Nice job giving them something to think about. Those are the age "kids" I think need to give more. Well, we ALL need to do/give more, but I think the younger are just waiting on the world to change (in the words of John Mayer!). Glad there is someone like you out there to give them a gentle push in the right direction. Enjoy the South (and the Joys!)

Susanne said...

LOL! And yo, of course.

kgirl said...

good work, dawg.

Tabba said...

Jen - two bloggers who I hold dear ( you and another) have had some interesting tales to tell via an airplane ride. I urge you to read this post http://www.maigh.com/2007/04/26/single-serving-buddy/

And then read the link to the Trevor Romain sight. The post dated April 22nd.
But do this when you have tissues handy.

And I guess my point is, that things happen for a reason. The people we encounter happens for a reason.
If we should be so wise as to see it.

And as always, you are. Udabomb.

Bob said...

good work on Y'all. Still looking for a hon' or darlin'.

Jen, spreading the gospel of the homeless, one punk rock band at a time. Yo.

thailandchani said...

You seem to be able to communicate with all types of people. That's a special gift.


Peace,

~Ch

urban-urchin said...

Now I have this image of bobble-head Jen in my head!

One person at a time, darlin'. That's all it takes, and more than most do.

Give Joy a big ole fat kiss right on the lips for me....

Jocelyn said...

I'm sitting in my College Composition I classroom right now (obviously not doing a whit of teaching, unless having the class work on "paragraph arguments" counts), and I'm just grinning and grinning at the monitor.

You so good. Peace out.

NotSoSage said...

I've seen your picture, you DO look good for 37.

I'm stoked you turned a couple a homies around, shorty. (Oh, that just makes me so soooooo old.)

slouching mom said...

Dude! You got it goin' on.

Laurie said...

You are an amazing woman, Jen. You are making a difference in the world, which is something to be very proud of.

crazymumma said...

yo momma.

it's all about shining the light into those unseen corners. Good job...

QT said...

Way to make the best of being in the back of the plane, sister. And too bad you couldn't go to the show - that would have been DOPE!

kristen said...

you definitely have a way showing people the other side of homelessness, i know i think differently now because of your voice here.

theflyingmum said...

Props, y'all. (knock fists)
And is it wrong that this anecdote made me picture that scene in "Airplane" with Barbara Billingsly?

KC said...

There you go again, slowly changing the world into a better place. And all I did on my flight was look at the stupid Sky Mall magazine.

My connection will be that tight tonight...I wish I had my sneakers. And I'll have customs and that damn poster tube.

Lawyer Mama said...

Well, you make me think about the homeless all the time so I'm not surprised you have that effect on others in the *real* world. Yo.

Lawyer Mama said...

Oh & you must tell us how dinner with Jessica went!

mamatulip said...

Mad props, Jen. Mad props.

Julie Pippert said...

Big score!

And by that I more mean the change of perspective than the tickets, although...the looking 25? That might actually be the winner. All around, then, big score!

meno said...

It is always nice to be asked! :)

You have caused me to give money to someone on the street for the first time too.

See, it's working.

flutter said...

y'all had a good plane ride, yo!

Hel said...

How amazing to catch up on your posts. From serious to hilarious. You dance like sunlight on a leave.

Aliki2006 said...

You go, girl! Sometimes the most improbable circumstances can yield surprising results...

Kyla said...

Wow! 12 years younger than you are? Free tickets to a show? And changing people's minds with your words? Sounds like the perfect plane ride, yo!

Redneck Mommy said...

Yer a rock star baby. Don't you forget it.

Momish said...

Sounds like a great plane ride all in all. It's amazing the people you touch even in the air. You are quite the woman, especially for your 25 years!

mohairpink said...

OMG, you cracked me up! You sound pretty good for 37, too.

Penny. said...

Those boys were all about yo sweet 25 year old booty sitting down next to them, totally stoked to find such a smart hottie to chat with and totally down with what you be representin', dawg. You go girl! Those homeys didn't even know what hit them.

Felicia said...

Proceed to list all the places homeless people exist. That takes a while.

Why does that make me think of Bubba in Forrest Gump...shrimp kabobs, coconut shrimp, barbecued shrimp...

So the guys are gonna help the homeless and buy one less bottle of Kristal to show off in the fridge when they're on Cribs, huh? Awesome!