Saturday, May 12, 2007

bearing witness

I see you. Fierce in your love, devastated by their suffering. Unbelievable joy in their accomplishments, no matter how small. The weight and measure you give every decision, not only for them, but for yourself because all you do affects them now. You carry that proudly; shoulders bending but never giving. I see you.

I see you. Mothers of one, two, three, and more. You who so desperately want a child, first time mothers, the sages who've been around the block a few times, the grandmothers. I see the care you put into your homes, your relationships, your life. Because all you do affects them now, you feel that and it matters. You would stop at nothing. I see you.

I see you, protective tigress, guffawing rainbow, clouds of rain. I see your journey and your sacrifice. I see your joyous faces thanking the gods for one more day, and for the end of each one passed. The miles on your cars, your feet, your souls. I see your old wardrobes and the million things you do without because there is something more important now, the lack of personal space, the creativity you once mustered. All of that makes you even more beautiful.

I see you. The moments when you are alone at 3am, a crying baby and little relief. The work you do even when you are sick, the occasional or often credit you don't receive by the simple fact that everyone's needs are met. The sacrifices you've made to your career, your adult life. How you know it and are fine because you've found your new calling and it's exactly how it should be, even when it's not.

I see you. Bending in immeasurable ways, picking up thousands of toys, singing in your kitchens, traveling the world. Teaching compassion, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, and justice. Planting flowers and drinking invisible tea. Kissing bare bellies and grasping them close. Watching them sleep and cuddling them awake. Holding hearts and souls when others have tried to crush them. You want everything for them and you do whatever is needed. You show up. Simply put, you never stop showing up.

To some of the most outstanding mothers in the world, I see you. I see you and I celebrate the majesty of you.

Happy Mothers' Day, you gorgeous, gorgeous human beings, you.

43 comments:

thailandchani said...

Wow.. you need to save this one and republish it every year! :)


Peace,

~Chani

metro mama said...

And to you!

crazymumma said...

I see you too babe.

sing the song electric and revel in sticky warm hugs and kisses.

xo

Redneck Mommy said...

Love this post. Makes me feel all warm and weepy inside.

Big momma kisses to you.

kristen said...

Wow mama, this makes me so proud. Teary-eyed but proud. Happy Mothers' day to you too and every mama reading here. Much love sister. xo

Joker The Lurcher said...

thank you jen. its not often anyone says it.

wordgirl said...

I needed this. Thank you.

Blog Antagonist said...

That was beautiful and delicious and heartfelt. From one mother to another...thanks.

meno said...

Now i want YOU to be MY mother. We never knew how fierce we could be until....

Happy Mother's Day back to you.

Lawyer Mama said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too, friend! What a beautiful post.

s@bd said...

and to you - what a beautiful post.

bubandpie said...

Lovely.

mayberry said...

Well thank you! We see you too!

Tabba said...

And I see you.
This was simply beautiful.

And I am crying my eyes out.

Anonymous said...

Jen...how beautifuly you've put into words what exactly motherhood is about! Being a member of the mother-club now, I finally know how it feels...I SEE other mothers and care-givers too...I am so proud of us all!

Enjoy your day sister...

Lil xo

QT said...

Jen, what a great post. Happy Mother's Day to you, phenomenal woman.

slouching mom said...

Truly lovely, jen.

And I see you, and her, and them.

It's true: bearing witness is so important.

Bon said...

tears. that's lovely.

happy mother's day to you, Jen.

pgoodness said...

That was perfectly lovely. Happy Mother's Day right back atcha!!

KC said...

Not a day goes by that I don't kiss a bare belly. And thank god.

Happy Mother's Day, love.

deb said...

thank you Jen and the same to you.

Denguy said...

Aw, you're such a sweetie, Jen.

NotSoSage said...

What a gift!

Thank you. I'm forever grateful that we have this forum to "see" each other a little better.

kgirl said...

And to you, you gorgeous, gorgeous woman, you.

flutter said...

You,

You beautiful, tigress womansoul. You nurturing, loving gorgeous motherheart. You are a treasure, a gift and a piece of light that makes this world more bearable and a reason for joy.

Happy Mother's day.

Aliki2006 said...

Happy Mother's Day--what a fiercely lovely post.

Beck said...

Beautiful.

Oh, The Joys said...

...and happy mother's day to you too.

Jocelyn said...

Well, fer damn.

You're just so good at this writing and thinking business.

Send that one to a magazine, woncha?

Mrs. Chicky said...

Beautiful.

Happy Mother's Day to you, friend.

carrie said...

Hope you don't mind if I tuck this one away for those times when I need to read it most. That was ALMOST more beautiful than a boquet of tissue paper flowers . . . ALMOST.

Happy Mother's Day to YOU!

Carrie

ps. You really must submit this for publication, like, for moola because it is one of the most beautiful and eloquently written pieces about being a mother that I think I have ever read. Ever.

Karen Forest said...

Happy Mother's Day to you as well.

PS-I absolutely LOVE the way you write....you paint such a clear picture in the mind.

karrie said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

I think being seen, heard and recognized is the Mother's Day gift we all really want.

Kyla said...

Oh, that was beautiful, jen! Happy Mother's Day to you.

Chaos Control said...

I don't even know what to say - other than thank you for such beautiful words! Simply beautiful!

urban-urchin said...

Happy Mother's day my lovely.

Susanne said...

Happy mother's day to you too.

The Expatriate Chef said...

Thank you so much for seeing us. You are such a beautiful spirit.

Pendullum said...

Thinking of you too...
Here's a wee note of the origin of Mother's Day...
Thought you would like it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtzAwo1HU2w

Ally said...

This is quite possibly the most beautiful tribute to the universality of motherhood that I've ever read. Thank you for sharing it with us all, and to OTJ for pointing me in this direction with the Perfect Post Award.

Kelly said...

Good God, what a lovely post, and I'm sorry I'm late to it. For women who are so often invisible, this post sings their praises and then some.

Gorgeous.

Mama's Moon said...

Hi! Just found you through OTJ and (though a bit late) just wanted to thank you for such a beautifully written and powerful post. Thank you for reminding me of why I do the things I do even when sometimes it doesn't make any sense. Thank you for reaffirming that it's all worth it - ALL of it!

Expatriate Chef said...

Tonight my husband admitted how I don't look good anymore. My husband who has no job, who works out 14 hours a week while I work more than full time and raise our child and gave up work out time for me. How I am no longer young and hot. I would argue I am more now. That he doesn't see it, doesn't see me. I reread this post. Thank you. You've never seen me, but you did.