Monday, May 28, 2007

hanging around the spirit world

Seizing relentlessly upon the good fortune of grandparents, J and I head over to a wine festival in a small mountain town. There were six of us in all, wandering the streets, listening to music, drinking beer. We'd been up and down the length of it when at the far end we noticed a henna/palmist booth.

The three women wandered over, the men trailing with slightly rolled eyes behind. Ten minutes, we say. It'll just take ten minutes.

The gorgeous and aged Indian woman in the booth looked up at us and welcomed us in. She handed us a book of designs and my friends started perusing the options. I plopped down next to her and said just do what inspires you. She looked me in the eye for a long second, reached over and grabbed my hand momentarily and then said conspiratorially I've got it. Yes. And then as she grabbed my foot and gently placed it in her lap.

Oh, she said. Oh no. One toe ring? You only wear one toe ring? You are out of balance. You must fix this right away. She pulls me towards her and whispers this is very, very bad. Do you do this often? Yes, I replied, every single day. But you know, I can fix this right away. She shook her head and said something I didn't understand and also Before you go to sleep tonight, promise me. No problem. I don't know why, but I believe her, and will do as she says.

She paints an extraordinary design on one foot, and then, looking worried, talks again about her concern for my balance and as such, grabs my other foot and creates another masterpiece there. She asks me to wait and begins to tend to my friends.

While I am waiting I start talking to the palmist, an older British woman who has lightening bolts in her ears. She asks if she can look at my hands and as such, I hand them over, palms up.

Oh, she says. Oh. Quite a lot of karmic debt this time around. You work hard, very hard. But you are more than this. You are on this earth to be creative. To do something different than you are doing. And you are not yet listening. J, I call. Come listen to this. He walks over and she glances at him, says are you sure about this? And I momentarily panic. Perhaps she'll point to an affair on the horizon and these things are probably best learned in private. Two husbands? Four? It's endless, the trouble that might rest in my hands.

But no, nothing of the sort. She continues to talk about my lack of self care in my work, of not standing up for what I need. That this is not working for me. That it is time for something new. Quite a few personal items, nothing new, but all mostly right on. It's shiverish, this experience. Then she speaks of travel, of how I will make my home with little possessions wherever I am. And at that point she grabs J's hands briefly, and notes the same. Both of you, she says. You both have this.

I ask her if she shares the bad things she sees, and she tells me yes. That her code of ethics require it. But there is nothing bad to see in my hands, there is nothing bad here. Only opportunity. I smile broadly, as if I've done something to win this karmic lottery. I am proud of my hands, and I gaze at them adoringly. I am nothing if not a total dork.

She then asks what I do for a living and I tell her. She notes that finding people homes is extremely creative, and when I balk she says why do you Americans think the only creativity comes from paint? I laugh, and ask her if my karmic debt meant I was one hell of a slumlord in a previous life. Something like that. But that is for you to discover.

We share a connection, these lovely women and I. For a few moments my friends and our men fade away, I bask in the energy of these women. These women who know things.

Its time to go, my friends are sufficiently hennaed and the men are long out of beer. Those ten minutes have turned into an hour or more, it is time to go. As we say goodbye, hugs and kisses bestowed all around. And I turn back to the Indian woman and ask does the painting represent something? I meant to ask you your inspiration.

Of course it does, my dear. When I touched you I knew immediately what to do. It means it's time for a new beginning. It's time for you to listen.

And I couldn't agree more. Now I just need to learn how to get my brain to step aside and allow my heart to lead for awhile.

37 comments:

Christine said...

Of course your job is creative! I completely agree that creativity is to be found in more places that art galleries and novels.

This sounds like one of those wonderfully wild experiences that leaves you suspended in a foggy excitement. New beginnings! Any chance of posting the design?

Her Bad Mother said...

WOW.

When you figure out how to lead with your heart, please let me know. Need some of that wisdom myself.

Z said...

This sign has come when you are ready to hear it. Get going, my sister.

meno said...

The wisdom of "strangers" can be very profound as they are not cluttered with the notions we are.

Very cool. I look forward to seeing where you go, with rings on your toes.

Laurie said...

Oh wow. That sounds totally amazing! I'd love to see the design if you are going to post it.

Did you add a toe ring? I wonder if I'm out of balance because I have 3 earrings?

Now how did that comment become about me? Sorry, I'm having a week here...

Hugs,
Laurie

Kyla said...

Wow. Very cool, jen.

bubandpie said...

As I read this, what came across to me most is how generous and powerful it is to touch someone - to physically touch another person. I feel as if I too have felt that wise, gentle touch.

crazymumma said...

chills. I just got chills.

see? the door is there, and your spiritual guides in the form of women.

shit Jen. I don't think you need me to tell you what a profound experience that was.

I sorta feel like crying right now. Don't know why but I do. really. Tears of joy that you had this happen.

QT said...

Sounds like a wonderful time ~ I love doing things like that, mostly to see how accurate it can get.

You, my friend, have gleaned a lot of knowledge out of the past 72 hours. That was the brain part. Now maybe it will step aside.

NotSoSage said...

Amazing. Truly. What a gift and a burden they placed on you: new beginnings are so hard but all the signs are pointing you there.

Are they pointing North? No? Just wishful thinking on my part. Reading this I had this intense desire to just follow you around and absorb the energy of change.

thailandchani said...

It's amazing how that happens.. and frequently does, when we're open to it.


~Ch

Hel said...

WOW!

This mail straight after the other one. It gave me gooseflesh. And then my heart turned around and started skipping with joy.

I just know your dream is hiding around the corner giggling with glee.

Susanne said...

Wow! And it feels as if you know that they're right.

Here's to new beginnings.

slouching mom said...

oh, jen. that experience could not have come at a better time.

and, btw, you made me laugh!

I am proud of my hands, and I gaze at them adoringly. I am nothing if not a total dork.

Bon said...

apparently i need the grandparents to babysit more, so i can go find me some women like that. because much as i don't wear dreamcatchers and crystals hanging from my ears, i too think they have wisdom, and a deep vein of respect for that wisdom runs through me.

now...just to find the path your heart is leading you toward.

you can.

kristen said...

Oh what a delight. I love how these moments happen and at the time it's spontaneous but then you have to wonder...very cool on having your feet hennaed and I can't wait to see what awaits you my friend.

deb said...

It's hard to make your mind quiet so that your soul can speak to you. I still can't manage it. It's even harder to get anybody to shut off the damned TV!

Tabba said...

Completely.......wow.

And that is the hardest part isn't it? To listen to what our heart knows but the brain, in all it's devine flaws, tries to deny or reason with.

Go, Jen.....Just go forth. Let your heart fill up.
If it is one thing I've learned about you from this piece of art you've got going on here, is that you're heart is vast. It is deep and wide.
Find that heart-work.

Em said...

You have a beautiful heart to follow...

Oh, The Joys said...

yes, yes, yes. make the space for it, Jen!

Mrs. Chicky said...

If those women were half as compelling as you made them seem I'd have to say it's time to jump into something new! Listen!

Aliki2006 said...

Oh, that's wonderful! And you tell the story so well, so lightly and deftly.

Mad Hatter said...

The rationalist part of me is shrugging, "only in California." The rest of me is intrigued beyond measure.

Sober Briquette said...

the entire experience sounds enchanting.

Earthmamagoddess said...

these are my favorite types of experiences how totally awesome.

such great info....you will know just what to do.

KC said...

Oh, what a magical day, Jen. The women who know, yes, this is what you needed.

I've been reading Emotional Intelligence for class this weekend, and you have it in spades. Following your heart with that strong intuition of yours will be easier than you think.

I'm so happy you had this day.

ewe are here said...

Wow!

What an amazing experience!

Jenn said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

I felt like I was there, her tracing my palms.

Not everyone can write magic.

Deezee said...

messages. love them.

Maurey Pierce said...

Cool! Good signs all around. And great writing!

Redneck Mommy said...

I was going to say wow...but so many others have before me.

I could say great post, but again, others have done it for me.

I'm just gonna say I can't wait to get rip roaringly drunk with you and meet the creativeness that lurks in you...

Mrs. Chicken said...

Easier said than done, but if anyone can follow their heart, it is you. It is so big, such a beacon. Let it lead you!

Jocelyn said...

I'm a little in love with every woman in this post.

Karen Forest said...

Wow....wow!

Not much else to say. But I am wondering, "Do you now wear two toe rings?" and if so, "Do you FEEL more balanced..?"

I am so intrigued.

Lawyer Mama said...

Wow! You'll find your path because you're so open to possibilities.

And what you do at work and at home is creative. How could anyone read this and not agree?

Ruth Dynamite said...

Jen, keep going. Keep searching. Keep listening. Keep asking. The answers will come.

We needs to meet up in Chicago, lady. Can't wait!

bgirl said...

love this post, for so many reasons. i've got some seriously trippy palms myself, a psychics delight. and i fear, i only wear one toe ring...and when i think about when i firt put it on and how shortly thereafter my life fell out of balance and has somewhat remained that way....yikes, perhaps i need to seriously consider a second toe ring!