Sunday, May 13, 2007

jungle fever

We had a work friend of J's over for dinner last night and he's recently married a Brazilian woman who we've never met. I love gatherings like this, a bit of the unknown, wine, decent food.
A and S met and fell in love in an extraordinary way. S is a world traveler, a truth seeker, a man who vibrates on a non-material plane. He had been headed to the Amazon, and on his way through he met a girl, a lovely girl, A. A and S hit it off smashingly, in five days time had fallen quite towards each other, but S was off to the jungle, his nomadic spirit calling him. She wrote her number on a slip of paper, he shoved it in his pocket. Promises were made to call on his way back and off he went.

S trekked for several days from one intentional (experimental organic hallucinogenic) community to the next. He was traveling solo, but had made a few friends. He was hiking one early morning and noticed a bridge up ahead, and in that instant the world went dark.

He came to in a rudimentary hospital, where people he didn't recognize were sewing his ear back onto the side of his head. He had been attacked viciously and left for dead. Robbed. His skull was cracked open. A farmer found him floating face up in a shallow stream. He saved his life, this farmer. He loaded him into the back of a truck and took him to the hospital. Dropped him off and drove away. This man saved his life and S never saw his face.

A nurse found that slip of paper in his pocket while he was still unconscious. She called it and found A. She was informed of what had happened and asked to help. A immediately arranged for S to be flown back to the city, and after more time in a bigger hospital she took him home. He was battered, broken, and had no memory of what happened. She took two weeks out of her life and brought him home and nursed him back to health; spoon feeding him yogurt and sponge bathing him. She cared for him around the clock. She'd only met him the week before.

This was four years ago. They engaged in a bi-country relationship for several years until getting married and then finally, the curse of american immigration processes lifted, A was allowed to come to the states.

After sitting captivated by their story I sat thinking about the cosmic forces at play, the world literally knocking S on the skull to alert him to this love, this path. And as I am thinking this J says wow, that's a lot of psychic shit to deal with as a couple, getting married after she saved your life. The cosmic weight of that must have a huge role in your relationship.

I railed against that at first, the true love, my heart screamed. The divine intervention that was needed to tame the nomad. All because of LOVE. And yet J is right too. But right in a way that doesn't feel quite as romantic. We talked a bit more about it, obviously something they've rattled around already over the years. And I realized again how much I romanticize the concept of love. And yet I can't help myself, this incongruity always present in my view of the world, a blessing and a curse both. And yet I choose to believe.

38 comments:

Denguy said...

There is so much love in that story: the love of another person by the farmer; the love of the staff at the rudimentary hospital; the love of a woman who put her life on hold.

Sure the cosmic weight has a role in their relationship, but perhaps only to alert him to the love that he may have missed.

thailandchani said...

I envy you your ability to romanticize love. I think of it as chemical reactions, practicality of mating and so on.

Maybe that's why I'm not married. LOL

Seriously though, I do consider most pairings of that nature to be karmic.


Peace,

~Chani

theflyingmum said...

See, now I saw it as the female vs male take on relationships. I assume we women are the more romantic, and men the more practical. But I do know some women who see things more the way J. would, and vice versa. Guess I get stuck on those stereotypes.
But that was a GORGEOUS story. It ran in my mind like an epic drama, with fantastic cinematography.

kristen said...

I believe too friend, I really do.

QT said...

Count me in as one of the believers - for the good and the bad of it all.

Incredible story, too.

Beck said...

I always think that the way two good people come together is magic, really.

slouching mom said...

Such a story.

As another commenter wrote, cinematic in its intensity and scope.

Reminds me a bit, at least in feel if not in content, of The English Patient.

Karen Forest said...

WOW, that is an amazing story.

Anonymous said...

Another romanitziser here, and that the way I like it!

Jen, I gotta ask though, what did J mean exactly when he said "says wow, that's a lot of psychic shit to deal with as a couple, getting married after she saved your life. The cosmic weight of that must have a huge role in your relationship." As in the possible unconscious debt being paid off in marriage year? I'm really curious...

Lil

meno said...

I romanticize love too, all the while scoffing at myself for doing it.

That's quite a story, beats the hell out of "we met in a bar."

Mad Hatter said...

I'm with Denguy. Love is swirling everywhere in that story. It makes it hard not to believe in love.

Oh and that slip in interpretation between you and J is likely part of what makes you two ideal for each other.

Bob said...

how did they respond to J's question?

When in doubt, why not romance?

(so speaks someone who proposed after 3 months and married after 6 months.)

Kyla said...

That is an amazing story!

jen said...

Lil, I think J was referring to the emotional indebtedness that might have clouded the future relationship, which of course would have an immediate impact, but over the long haul, I don't buy it.

Bob, they reacted fine, although A seemed a bit taken aback at first. i think just to have someone point that out instead of going for the (and my) reaction of it being romantic.

NotSoSage said...

Wow. Yes, Denguy's right. It may seem, on the surface, like S's debt to A is a huge one, but in some ways I'm sure that we all save our partner's lives at some point, if not their life. And I'm sure A didn't think twice about it.

KC said...

They were meant to be.

I choose this too.

Jenn said...

To all of us who still believe...what an amazing story.

Aliki2006 said...

That IS an amazing story. I romanticize love, myself.

Julie Pippert said...

Oh I am with you: total romantic about love. As I read their story I kept thinking, "How extraordinary! How amazing! How romantic!"

And can you believe...I heard a very similar story only this morning!

I see J's point, but I guess it depends on what your mental and emotional POV is.

I still think it's an awesome story and also am interested how they answered!

kgirl said...

Wow. That is one surreal, scary, beautiful love story.

But I disagree with J. Yes, for A and S, the saving was quite literal, but I think that in spiritual, supportive ways, Chris has saved my life a few times. I only hope that I do the same for him.

Lawyer Mama said...

What a great story!

I can see the emotional debt perhaps needing to be paid in some way. But marriage? Nah. I'll think of this as a great love story. Fate literally bashed him in the side of the head.

No, I'm not a romantic or anything....

Bon said...

that's one of the most amazing stories i've heard. and with a happy ending...or at least unfolding...how lovely. i think you made my day with that.

it's funny, though, because for me J's take on the story actually ADDS to its beauty. it's hard to carry the narrative weight of owing another person, of being owed...and to have worked that out, beyond just healing from trauma and dealing with obstacles, says to me a great great deal about the relationship between these two people, and its rarity.

i don't really believe in fated love, i suppose. i believe sometimes you get lucky and the world throws you together with someone who could truly match you...but what you do with that, how you rise to it, is where the beauty is, the real romance.

carrie said...

Believing is good.

What a crazy (in a good way) story!!

Carrie

Mrs. Chicky said...

Ever the staunch realist that I am I still find it easier to believe in love. Especially after I hear stories like that one.

Deezee said...

great tale.

I'm willing to believe and accept my own head clubbing (metaphorically speaking) just about now. :)

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

That is one of the single most absorbing love stories. Just incredible. How lucky they are to have each other!

Jenny said...

God, Jen. Do you know any normal people? Seriously you are a magnet to amazing stories and people. I'm so ready for your book.

Tabba said...

Oh, I totally believe. What an amazing story.

Binky said...

The proof of a good story is that it's absorbing and provoking no matter how you look at it. For the record, though--I'm on the romance side.

crazymumma said...

I loved this story.

My brother got into a car crash years ago. Prior to being injured he was a wolf. Loved the ladies.

After the accident, in rehab, a woman came to visit him many times, as a friend. She had been one of his customers (he had been a bartender).

Only because the accident forced him to lie still to take stock....did he recognize the great friendship which blossomed into romantic love with this woman. 8 years later they are still together. And now. Finally. My brother is at peace.

Girl con Queso said...

Yes, I like your version much better.

Laurie said...

I'm a romantic at heart as well. I can't help myself. Your story and their relationship is beautiful. Thank you.

Susanne said...

Like Beck said, maybe all of those meeting stories are deeply romantic.

On the other hand I have to admit when I read "that guy and his Brazilian wife" I thought, "Oh no, another one of those." You know, I met quite a few German-Brazilian couples that were together because the guy wouldn't find somebody in Germany, she already had a child but no husband, he went to Brazil on vacation, they met there and then went to Germany where she hoped to be rich and safe only to find that she was immensely lonely and homesick. And those couples often married because the language and cultural gap made romanticizing each other so easy.

But your story of course sounds totally different. Sometimes you just meet somebody who's the one.

Penny. said...

I romanticize love, too. But, isn't that what we are supposed to do with love? Isn't the magic and the mystic and the ineffible feeling of connectedness all romance, in it's essence? I don't know. I understand love biochemically, too. But, I've had the chocolate. The fairy tale, no matter how elusive, wins, for me.

Ruth Dynamite said...

I choose to believe. Incredibly story and beautifully shared.

ewe are here said...

Wow. What an amazing story! One that makes the old phrase 'the stories you'll tell your grandchildren' really mean something!

kim said...

me too.

The Holmes said...

Holy...that is the most amazing story I've read in a long time. Thanks for posting.