Tuesday, July 24, 2007

tube-ula rasa

I caught the CNN YouTube democratic debate last night and was quite taken with it, less because of the candidates and more because of the questions coming from the common person about issues that matter to all of us. It was simultaneously annoying, amusing, irritating and captivating to watch the candidates answer these refreshing questions, their spin and passion and rancor all at once.

Gravel is a riot. He's that filabuster guy from the 70's and who doesn't love a guy who went head on with Nixon. He'll never get elected but if he did I suspect we'd find him to be a most refreshingly honest leader. He's a croaky old coot and I'd love to drink a beer with him.

Edwards is likeable enough, intelligent, compassionate, passionate about health care and the environment (but who isn't acting passionate about health care and the environment). In fact there was a brilliant moment when the ever-delicious Anderson Cooper stopped the collective posturing about global warming and asked them to raise their hands if they traveled by private jet to get to the debate and I think Gravel was the only one who didn't. That was money, Anderson. I'd drink a beer with you, too.

Obama, as likeable as he may be seemed long on spin and frustratingly short on substance. I mean yes it's a debate and time is short, but he could've done better. He's already all soundbite and we've got 17 months to go. I'm just saying.

Biden's kinda hot in an old guy sort of way. He's a bit too harsh and it's bitten him in the ass before and will bite him in the ass again. But he'd look good in office.

Richardson seems a bit too conservative for my vote, a nice public servant but you know, soft on guns. Can't have that. Plus he waffled on the private jet show of hands. Lame, dude. Lame.

Hilary's got game and you know, her husband is a personal friend of mine and all. But she's got a bit too much wall street money for my liking. That goes for Obama too. And Edwards while I am at it. Am not sure what to do about it, but I don't like it much.

I am leaving Dodd out because I can't remember enough about him to actually have an opinion. Sorry Senator, but you know, it was late and I'm tired and I'm just not that into you.

In the end my heart belongs to Kucinich. He's the real deal, this guy. He'd green our planet and bring peace to the world faster than anyone else. But he'll never get into office, he's too honest and too committed and too right about too many things and that is entirely threatening to the cats pulling the strings. But a girl can dream.

I am seriously toying with making a video at the shelter and submitting it to the Republican debate but I am fairly sure none of those dudes would have a good answer about homelessness and they'd probably edit out my profanity. But I hope people keep asking questions, because it reminds all of us that we are in this together and our collective cynicism has a momentum all it's own.

31 comments:

flutter said...

I don't think he'll nail the nomination, though. I think that's a Hillary-Obama off neither of which I am terribly impressed.

QT said...

It always comes down to who is "electable" - sadly, it is the person who is best able to play the ends against the middle.

But I think any one of them would be better than what we have now.

jen said...

QT, absolutely, me too. in fact, they all acknowledged that collectively of themselves on stage last night too. it almost felt like a group hug.

Ally said...

I hope this is just the first of the debates that you'll review. This was fabulous; hilarious to read and spot on! Keep 'em coming!

kristen said...

i'm counting on the collective cynicism. and i worry about who is deemed electable and whether that really translates to being elected.

Tabba said...

i loved hearing your take.

and i totally get what you're saying about Biden *ahem*. he is pretty hawt. not because he's from my home state or anything. he just is. but i don't think he's got what it takes.

really. the selections. it's like the mcdonald's menu board. really.

thailandchani said...

With the exception of Kucinich, they all have the same class loyalties. I stay out of politics for the most part. At the debate level, it generally turns into a popularity contest.


Peace,

~Chani

slouching mom said...

I'm dreadfully disappointed in Obama, but I am still holding out a tiny bit of hope that he'll surprise me.

Orangeblossoms said...

Kucinich is my man, too. I wish I loved Hillary-- but she's big money politics. What's a feminist to do!?

Christine said...

isn't anderson cooper yummy?

i try to like hillary, i really do. but she doesn't answer emails. or at least her staff members don;t.

Julie Pippert said...

Oh I HATE weighing them for electability...it's like who's cool enough.

I worry that people want too much art, not enough matter.

Sigh

Grow trust.

Thanks for your rundown! I enjoyed it!

Pgoodness said...

Thanks for the rundown - I missed and was wondering what anyone thought. Glad you shared yours!
And I would have a beer with Anderson Cooper for any reason, but I like yours, too!

crazymumma said...

'...he's too honest and too committed and too right about too many things...'

that just about nails it doesn't it?

Aliki2006 said...

I don't know much about Kucinich--I'll give him a closer look. I think the electability factor is so key this election though. We so desperately need a change, I'm trying hard not to be too picky.

Jennifer said...

Every time I hear Kucinich speak, my heart hurts a bit. Because I so, so agree with everything he says. A politician who says it like it is, who actually wants to get things done and who cares about the things that really matter? Wow. Wow.

But, no, he'll never get elected. :(

I want to like Hillary, but I'm not sure. (I'd vote for Bill again in a heartbeat, though!) For now, Obama is my man, but I'm not set, by any means.

Thanks for the run-down!

- Jennifer (Faking It)

Deezee said...

I'm impressed with your patience to watch a debate at this stage. I'm trying to pretend that campaigning is starting after the first of the year, and that this is all just a huge parade passing by, which is mostly just snarling traffic as opposed to offering us anything to celebrate. (did I really just type that??)

I wish all these elected officials would return to their jobs and impress us with what they are accomplishing with what's already been handed to them!

(glad there was the equivalent of a group hug, though, and I hope Kucinich bends the debate issues in the very least. How sad that he gets mocked by so much of our population.)

NotSoSage said...

I'd love for you to make that video, if only because I'd love to see the totally stunned faces on all of the candidates if they actually ran your question.

FENICLE said...

I believe the canidates with the most $ & press coverage will get the nominations. Sad world we live in I know.

I saw some reporter who did a story on where all the canidates sent their kid's too school - private or public. SURPRISINGLY most went to public.

mitzh said...

I am really not into politics and I think that's bad... (--)

And I think debates are like popularity contest. I wanted to love Hilary, but I can't seem to find it in my heart to do so..

I agree about Kucinich and some way it makes me sad...

Hel said...

I will make a wish that somehow Kucinich wins.

A miracle does sometimes happen and it has been a while so statistically our chances are looking better.

ewe are here said...

The candidates are all very disappointing to me. Like you said, all soundbites, no substance, especiaaly from those we expect more from.

Make the video. Please, make the video. You never know....

KC said...

Kucinich would be great, yes, if he could win. JP thinks he keeps running, knowing that he'll never win, just to put his issues on the table and get everyone thinking about the right things.

I think you should make that video. Maybe save an unedited, profanity-version for blog-only consumption.

Binky said...

I don't know why Dodd is running. I wouldn't remember anything about him, either, if we weren't living in the same state. As it is, I have only vague recollections.

kgirl said...

You should make that video.
Although being a Canuck should not justify my ignorance, I'm really only 'acquianted' with the big 3, and out of those, I'd take Hil. I look to you for further, insightful education, my brillant friend.

Jenn said...

"(but who isn't acting passionate about health care and the environment)" ?

Um, he lives in the White House right now.

Think I'm just going to write in Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, you know, to match my bumper sticker.

Lawyer Mama said...

You should make that video anyway!

Cristi said...

Thanks for the run down. Has anyone read Citizen Power by Gravel?

On Kucinich '...entirely threatening to the cats pulling the strings..."
Honest to a fault. One day the good guys will win! But who is to say that even the best of them are not pulled into the political shenanigans once elected?

carrie said...

Caught a glimpse of those debates myself and I was getting my John Edwards groove on . . . until he said he "wasn't for gay marriage, but my wife is". That was like a nail in his coffin.

I wish there was someone better, who could actually have a shot.

A girl can dream?

Carrie

kaliroz said...

I really like Gravel and Kucinich, and hell, Biden, but they're all so wonky or salty they'll never get elected. (Being from Ohio my heart does belong to Dennis.)

I'm disappointed in both Clinton and Obama. For being the two "outsider" candidates this election they're awfully inside.

Out of all them I think my money's really with Edwards. He's just won my heart. Sure, there's a slickness and the whiff of money coming off him but he just seems so real. And I read the article on Elizabeth in Vogue and what John said in it made me really like him.

Honestly, I'd like to see Wes Clark jump in. (Talk about yum factor. Having met him I can attest to his attractiveness.) I'm afraid it's too late in the game for him, though. Which is ridiculus given we're still so far away from any real voting.

theflyingmum said...

Ah, jen, you are such a breath of fresh air. I have mostly absent from the blogosphere, lately, and I admit it's been a while since I've been here. Now I wonder why. I'd love to hear more on the candidates from you.
So sad that someone like Kucinich will never make it. But then I always said neither a person of color, nor a woman would make it and - by God - we've got BOTH making a go for it this time around. And it doesn't seem so unlikely anymore...

Jocelyn said...

Hurrah for the Kucinich shout out!