Sunday, August 05, 2007

a musical rendition

The most lovely Susanne turned me on awhile back to her husband's blog psychedelic zen guitar and as I started following his posts he impressed me with his ability to write music to fit a variety of moods and scenes. I've been quite taken with how it teases my brain so a month or so ago I mused in his comments section wondering if he could write a song about homelessness.

Gary graciously agreed to give it a go on one condition: that there was a story to go along with the music. He crafted a lovely piece of music and I set out to get a story from someone who's living on the streets. My post yesterday was inspired from that conversation, and Tom's story is over at Gary's blog along with the music and a photo that Gary took to go along with it. Go check it out and let us know what you think.

I can only imagine what fun it must be to hang out with this couple. All music and creativity and fabric and heart and color and soul. Thank you Gary, for making some magic and teaching me to open my ears.

It's not too late to send over your Just Post. If you have a post from you or someone else that is about social issues or social justice big or small we want to know about it. Send me the link at girlplustwoATyahoo.com by the 7th and you'll have a seat at the table. Everyone is welcome and if you have questions, please ask.

22 comments:

flutter said...

how lovely

Momish said...

The story is great, sad but great. Wouldn't you know I am stuck on an old laptop with no sound. As soon as I can I will listen to it. I can't wait.

What a great challenge, and I am sure he rose to the occasion beyond your expectations.

Jenny said...

An amazing collaboration, my friend.

Kevin said...

This is a very powerful combo of song and story. The story in itself is so powerful and I think that the music hit right on. It was really beautiful.

Lawyer Mama said...

I loved the music. It went very well with the story - sad, but very alive.

Mrs. Chicky said...

Very cool. Music makes everything clearer.

ms chica said...

Poignant. It's remarkable how two media tell the story better than one alone.

slouching mom said...

oh, what a phenomenal idea. off to check it out.

Ally said...

I love that you collaborated on this together. The song turned out really, really good. And thanks for turning me on to his site.

Jennifer said...

Oh, it's beautiful. Between the music, the story and the photo... So powerful. Thank you, both.

Deezee said...

I love how you reached out for this project and combined talents and sensitivities.

ewe are here said...

Great project.

And you're right, he's very talented.

Gary said...

Having read about your conversations with Tom, having read all those moving comments, I'm deeply moved myself now.
It's quite a different kind of feeling to know there are people listening and empathizing than to just play and record on my own and for my own, as I usually do.
So I want to express my deep appreciation of all the benign comments. I would like to thank you, Jen, for helping my music to be more real and more touching by making it part of a story.
And I hope together we could create some awareness of issues that are so easily overlooked.

wordgirl said...

People who can write and play music amaze me.

Christine said...

i went over there and was so moved. that wide circle tom talked about broke my heart. and the music--heaven;y. thanks for point us in gary's direction.

thailandchani said...

Very interesting! :)

Been gone this weekend but will definitely get some Just Posts together.

I've been on a fluff run.. so not sure I have any.. but I've read some good things.


Peace,

~Chani

crazymumma said...

I just went over...that was really beautiful. Very moving, reading the words of that man with the music playing at the same time.

It got all like I was watching a movie in my head. But it is not a movie. It is real, and the stories are real and life is real and its just gotta be so hard out there.

Susanne said...

*Blushing*

I'm so happy to see this coming together. The first time I heard the music I cried. And then we went out to take a picture, and that in itself was quite complicated. And then you sent Tom's story, and now it's there. And I love it. And you were the one setting it in motion.

And I'll be thinking about whether we are fun to be with the rest of the day...

Kyla said...

Jen, I love your heart. This was amazing.

liv said...

Amazing---and having you two marvelous people collaborate is awesome.

mamatulip said...

Wow. That was unbelievable. When I first saw this last night I was on a computer with no sound...so I bookmarked it for later. I loved that.

QT said...

This was a great idea, jen. The story & music together are incredible.

I am so sad for Tom.