chasing tails

Those people deserve what they get.

I hear this uttered after just speaking publicly about homelessness, about the plight in our community, about suffering and what we can do. My head whips around like I was slapped and barely controlled I turn back to him. Excuse me?

I said, those people deserve what they get. Why don't they just get a job.

So often in moments like these I've used all sorts of tactics, a bit of humor and education, a quiet sort of explanation about root causes and social injustice. But this isn't the week for that, my heart has already been jumped on enough.

Without measuring my words I get very close and bite back how dare you judge someone else's suffering. how dare you. when did it become okay to ignore the suffering of others. tell me, when?

Angry now and caught off guard he too rises up and in defense tells me they are not my problem. To which I reply but you are most certainly theirs.

He had another choice word or two but I turned and walked. I walked hard and fast feet to pavement I walked and as I walked I cried. I cried tears of frustration and disbelief and exhaustion that people continue to turn a blind eye to the suffering around them and instead choose to kick them in the shins. I cried not over this asshole but for the thousands just like him. I cried because our world could be so much kinder than it is.

I get back to my office and as I sit the phone rings. I debate for a moment and then pick it up. Hello young lady my friend M says, his voice a rich sound of gravel and butter. I may be out of line here, but I met a woman and she needs help. She's sleeping in her car with her two kids. One's just a baby. Can you help? I met her yesterday and I couldn't sleep last night knowing I had a home while she slept outside. And I grip the phone a little tighter, teary again but this time from the goodness of others instead of the bad. Of course. Have her give me a call. And hey, how are you?

I love my new apartment. I love it so much. And I just got a new job, too. Things are looking up.

Indeed, my friend, indeed. For me as well. Thank you.