door to door

I saw him about a month ago when I was leaving Trader Joe's one night after work. M and I were walking out and he's sitting there at a rickety card table with sign that says something about Helping Homeless Vets. I stop and inquire about the organization he's raising money for because I am often (perhaps unnecessarily) suspicious about the ones who send homeless people to store entrances with tin cans. He said they were nice people but that he only got paid enough to rent a hotel room for $40 a night and that was with his VA pension and he was sick of being homeless.

Feeling brave and a bit irked at their benefiting from cheap labor I tossed out I think we can do better than that, friend. To which he replied oh young lady, so you think so. So we got to talking a bit about how much he makes and what he's looking for and I gave him my card and told him to call me if he wanted to get serious.

He most seriously called me the next day and reminded me of my challenge and made it clear that he was done with shelters so don't be sending me to a shelter young lady. I knew that was his challenge to me and so I told him about a place I know that has good housing for cheap and called over to ask for a favor. They obliged and made an appointment for him the next day.

I got a call from the housing folks a bit later who said that his having an eviction on his record wasn't going to make it easy. I knew that might be the case and told them that I had a feeling, one of those feelings that this might be an okay risk to take. They said they'd do more legwork and let me know but made no guarantees.

Meanwhile my friend keeps checking in to let me know what's what. When he's there, what forms he's filled out, etc. We talk maybe once a week and for awhile it's not looking good. I can only pull certain strings at this place but it's a good place and one he can afford. He's getting discouraged but they've been straight with him from the beginning because the eviction was going to be a problem but we decided to risk it anyways. And now the dude is out $20 on the application fee and he reminds me clearly that is half of a nights lodging young lady.

Yesterday I get curious, having heard nothing from anyone for at least a week. I call over and leave a message and today I got a call back, the very best kind of call from the guy in the office who says they just handed M the keys to his new apartment. I smile broadly through the phone and hang up only to have it ring a minute later. Young lady, it's M. I am calling to let you know I just picked up my keys. I get to move in tomorrow. Thank you for going the distance with me even when I didn't think it would work out. May god bless you for getting an old vet off the streets.

Amen, brother. Amen. It's all you. I just made a phone call and gave an old man a bit of shit. He laughed a deep strong laugh and said goodbye. And it's true. I didn't do much of anything at all. This was him following through every step of the way.

M, I hope you enjoy the bed in your very own apartment. May your fridge always be stocked with the food of the gods and may your feet never feel cold.