retreat

We took a weekend away. Nowhere far but alone just the same. We called in reinforcements and stole away to a nearby hotel and taken some time to rejuvenate. To fill the near empty well.

We've done precious little aside from playing cards and watching movies, eating out and sitting and talking. J agreed to the retreat after witnessing the events of the past week, the near breaking of my sanity. We've been quiet this weekend, but not too quiet. Quiet in the best sort of way. J has long had a saying that we are the guardians of each other's solitude, that by allowing for space alone and together we allow the other to do what they need to, because being in relationship, and a good one at that, doesn't mean that the other person can always fix or repair. That process comes from within.

So we took that time this weekend and as I sit this morning, a belly full of hotel breakfast I realize how fortunate I am to have this quiet. This mental and physical retreat. And while it hasn't fixed all that weighs on me it's certainly gone a long way to help.

And we aren't done yet. Today we'll go see a movie and tonight I am indulging in some quiet time alone. It's amazing how restorative this can be and how rare of an occurrence it actually is. And then I wonder how others do it, those of you who work just as long and hard, how it is you find your breathing space amidst the noise.