Tuesday, October 30, 2007

state of eternal bliss

I always enjoy it when J invites a work friend over for dinner. His friends are an eclectic bunch, a group of counselors working with a difficult population and inevitably I find them to be an interesting group. E was no exception. He's a world traveller and a film-maker who just landed a full length documentary project. He's been enlisted to make a film about a guru who has a large number of disciples and a few ashrams in different parts of the world. His disciples are paying for the documentary, so of course I was wondering if there would be freedom in filming or if there would be pressure to film it in a certain way - a question on E's mind as well.

So being the inquisitive woman I am, I continued to pepper E with questions while plying him with wine. Apparently this guru dude was born in the states but said Jesus came to visit him when he was a little kid and told him some important stuff. A while later he claimed he had some other visitors, Mother Mary, Jesus again, some other spiritual bigwigs too. They made it clear he was the reincarnation of some other really important spiritual leader and the rest sort of spiraled from there. So today he's got a bunch of followers and a bunch of spiritual teachings on the oneness of us and God and you know, it all sounds ok enough because far be it from me to judge the spiritual lives of others anyways. E swears the man has an intense spiritual power, that in his presence you are filled with a constant state of bliss, a bliss so intense that you are unable to focus on anything else, even sleeping. (How he'll film the movie while in this state is yet to be seen).

To be honest, that's a bliss I've never felt but you know, it sounds kind of cool, too. So after E left I googled the guru and found some of his teachings and saw some of his disciples and some videos of his lessons and as I watched I was waiting for the bliss. The Bliss! But it never came. So I went to bed lacking the bliss and life continues on as normal.

But I can't wait to hear how this film project goes.

29 comments:

thailandchani said...

Are you talking about Maitreya and Benjamin Creme?

jen said...

nope. but now i'll go look them up too.

BOSSY said...

Bossy finds a small amount of Bliss in that wine you were just mentioning...

Family Adventure said...

Maybe the bliss doesn't project itself well through Youtube?!

Otherwise, I'm with Bossy on the wine bliss :)

Heidi

Jennifer said...

Wine does bring a certain bliss. Perhaps Jesus told the guru about the wine thing he came up with back in the day...??

*sassy grin*

Redneck Mommy said...

Hmm, I am in serious need of bliss these days.

I'll take my bliss anyway I can find it...sex, wine, God or reading my bloglines.

Still searching.

And hoping.

Christine said...

i would love some spiritual bliss. i only wish i knew how to get it.

mitzh said...

Oh that bliss surely slips so fast in our lives, that we barely had a moment to take notice. But it is there, somewhere, just hiding probably.

We all thirst for that bliss, always. And it is nice to have it once in a while. It is no wonder how or what people can do just to have it.

Blog Antagonist said...

Let me guess... it's the Maharishi of Chocolate, to whom you refer. No? Well then...I'm not interested. I can get all the bliss I need from a Kit Kat.

Sounds like an interesting individual though. I'm always fascinated by folks who can make sane rational adults act like sheep.

Jenn said...

Bliss is all around, in many forms; and it sounds like you already know that.

meno said...

Eh, bliss is overrated. Stick to the red wine.

Kyla said...

If you felt bliss like that, how could you ever function in the world again? I'd imagine that sort of high is hard to let go.

bubandpie said...

(How he'll film the movie while in this state is yet to be seen).

This made me laugh so hard.

Ally said...

Bliss shmiss. Has anyone really felt it? Now PEACE I can relate to, but bliss? Not so much.

Tabba said...

the two of you...amazing.
the people you know, the things you've seen. i am in awe.
really i am.
i love these stories.
i eat them up.

Amy York said...

Sounds like quite the interesting dinner conversation!

Kellan said...

Jen, you're so funny! The story of our lives - illusive bliss - well most of the time. Thanks for coming over and saying such nice things - I still have a hard time "loading" your site, so when I click your site I just get up and go get something to eat or go to the bathroom. That's okay - you're worth it. I'll see you tomorrow. Kellan

slouching mom said...

(How he'll film the movie while in this state is yet to be seen).

Ahh, Jen, thanks for the laugh this morning.

b*babbler said...

If you find that state of bliss, could you pass it along?

Janet said...

If you find the bliss, please fine a way to post it on your blog. All I have today is a cranky toddler and a headache.

flutter said...

oooo me too

KC said...

Perhaps there's hallucinogens involved.

liv said...

I can't wait for the follow up post!!

The Expatriate Chef said...

I've read a bit on Eastern religion and philosophy, including the Bahgvad Gita (might have spelled that wrong). There is a principle in the teachings that some of us are capable of being our own guru and teacher, thus do not need external bliss. More like students of life. I would put you in the be-your-own-guru bracket. You generate much bliss, just read the comments.

Binky said...

I've never met the bliss that has shifted my focus from sleeping for more than 22 hours in one stretch.

Susanne said...

Oh yeah, the bliss. (And some weeks there seem to be gurus and disciples everywhere.)

I have this growing suspicion that I'd feel more blissful if I slept more.

And I have yet to meet a guru who makes me feel any different than before. I have this feeling that I have to do it on my own...

urban-urchin said...

bliss is raiding the kids halloween candy and scoring a full size butterfinger that they couldn't eat anyway due to allergies. Scarfing it down chased with a really good glass of grown up grape juice, and watching re runs of Arrested Development.

crazymumma said...

I would beg to argue that there have been times when you have held M in your arms, in that perfect moment, you may have come as close to The Bliss as is possible.

crazymumma said...

I would beg to argue that there have been times when you have held M in your arms, in that perfect moment, you may have come as close to The Bliss as is possible.