Monday, February 04, 2008

super tuesday bowl

We went to a Superbowl party yesterday at a friends house. It was a large crowd, I maybe knew 25% of the people there. Beer was flowing, bets were flying and the mood was high. After folks settled into the game a large number of us turned to the inevitable discussion: who are you voting for on Tuesday?

It was a liberal crowd so there wasn't a question of party but it was exciting to see how folks were evaluating their choices. I am still in the undecided camp since my man dropped out last week so I was eager to hear others thoughts. One of the things I noticed right away was how people were aligning themselves. Some white chicks for Obama, some men of color were voting for Hillary. The conversation was energetic, hopeful. Hearing phrases like she's got healthcare nailed but her immigration position seems harsher than his, or he's really motivating the young vote but it's hard to compare war positions when only one of them was in the senate at the time all made me realize that it's the issues that matter, if nothing else this horrendous administration has woken everyone up and we are paying attention. This is really happening, after seven long horrifying years, this is really happening.

During the Kerry/Bush election we hosted a couple of grassroots fundraisers. We called them Regime Change Parties and raised money for Kerry. The campaign was less about him and more about Anyone But Bush. This year is markedly different. There are people speaking our language. There are people who actually have a shot at leading this country in the right direction. We even have more than one to choose from. And it's exciting. It's exciting because we are all so desperate for something to be different, for our voice to matter, for this war to end, for things to change. And I'll gladly pay more in taxes if that means that can happen.

Many of us are in Super Tuesday states. Tomorrow we'll be heading to the polls and whether we agree or disagree we are all in this together. No matter your position let's send those current bastards a message. We are revolting. We are standing up. You are not our president any longer.

Let's get it on.

24 comments:

liv said...

god, woman. i love it when you talk about getting it on. fierce.

Blog Antagonist said...

I'm still completely undecided. BUT...I am feeling as though we have better options than we have in previous years. Obama is incredibly charismatic. I can see why they are comparing him to JFK. Is that enough to get him elected? I don't know. Hilary has a lot of strengths as well. It's going to be a very close race. Can't they just *share* the presidency??? Sigh.

ewe are here said...

The truth is, I'm not particularly wild about either candidate. But I will vote for one of them, because I cannot stand the very thought of another Republican in office. So I suspect I'll end up voting for the one I think has the best chance of winning in November.

I'm delighted to see, however, that young people are talking about it, weighing the differences, the issues, the importance of this election. Refreshing and reassuring that people are taking notice of what's important and want to see a change.

crazymumma said...

I can hardly wait to see him go.

Julie Pippert said...

I agree: what a difference it makes to vote *for* something instead of merely reacting in opposition *against* something.

I agree more: it really is the issues.

And AMEN it's really happening.

Jennifer said...

We're a Super Tuesday state we will be TOTALLY getting it on tomorrow! I'm actually giddy about it. "This is really happening..." = my thoughts exactly. YIPEE!!!


p.s. Barack is my vote.

PunditMom said...

I'm still having a hard time getting invested over either Dem after being such a big Edwards supporter.

Good luck deciding!

Gwen said...

Tomorrow should be interesting! I'm excited.

Christine said...

i can't vote tomorrow b/c in NY independents can't vote in the primary. i've gotten a hard time about this from by democrat friends who are urging me to switch and berating me for sticking with what i am already registered at.

but i will be watching eagerly to what happens and though i won't be at the polls tomorrow my heart is with the dems.

Running on empty

ps--edwards was TOTALLY my man, too.

Suz said...

I can't believe it, but you're right. It's true. No matter what happens, we're saying "goodbye" to Bush. And that has me feeling more hopeful than I've felt in a really, really long time.

Hetha said...

I'll never forget the day Kerry gave his concession speech. My 7th grade students wanted to watch, so I tuned the tv the speech and sat in the back of the room trying to control the trickle of tears that had to escape. I wasn't even a big fan of Kerry's, but seeing him lose felt like doomsday.

Barack baby, all the way.

cce said...

Voting with a vengeance tomorrow and I can't help but think that the President we get out of this thing...Obama, Clinton, Romney or McCain will be a much better leader than the one we've endured. And kudos to you for knowing people who watch football and can talk sensibly about political topics. I usually find the two mutually exclusive.

Ally said...

This is so exciting, isn't it? The change, the hope, the thought of NO MORE GEORGE W!

Going to Washington's caucus on Saturday, and I, like you, am still not 100% on who I'm supporting. But at least I feel good about both options.

mamatulip said...

I don't even really understand what Super Tuesday is, but damn, woman, you make it sound really exciting.

Cecilieaux said...

It's great to see optimism in the air!

Amy Y said...

I love it! Can't wait to see how tomorrow turns out...

Omaha Mama said...

The political energy is great. Our state has a caucus next Saturday and primaries in MAY. Still...it is very exciting to see how things shake out tomorrow. When I voted for Kerry I felt a little like I might be struck by lightning, because I disliked him so. It was just that I disliked G.W. more. It was insane. This time I can't decide, because I like Clinton AND Obama. That IS a good feeling, you are right, that there are TWO! Woo hoo!

Great post.

slouching mom said...

(rubbing hands together gleefully)

it's gonna be great. see ya, george. don't let the door hit you on the way out. or -- do, do.

Jenn said...

I'll still love you tomorrow, even though you've just ruined "let's get in on" for me forever.

For. Ev. Er.

Now all I can think of is his barren monkey face, yapping about being the Decider.

Kyla said...

I wish Edwards hadn't dropped out. I had just about finalized on him. Now I am unsure.

It's a big year. People are taking notice.

carrie said...

We got our absentee ballots in the mail over the weekend -- I don't think I have EVER voted so damn fast, EVER!

I'm just happy that we have 2 amazing candidates to choose from. And frankly, of course I have my pick, but I'd be happy with either. To me, their differences don't really matter all that much. :)

Magpie said...

I voted. It was thrilling.

And I am so so glad that the end of Shrub's reign is nigh.

bgirl said...

Wahoo! let's get it on indeed!

nomotherearth said...

Sometimes, I don't actually believe he'll really be gone. Ya. Hoo.