Sunday, April 20, 2008

adieu (the path)

I've talked before about our new neighbors, they aren't so new anymore. They are not so new anymore and now they are leaving. Their first year as parents. It's been hard on them, hard on them in a way I understand as if looking through a window. Maybe into a mirror. They are moving back to where they came, the hope is things will feel more normal there. I don't question this and yet I doubt it, wiser only by a few extra child years and nothing more. Silence.

We offer to take them to the mountains and join our weekly sojourn. They agree, treasuring their last california bits, the sun and heat and dry and sage. We hike, four big and two little people and we talk, four big people and two little people in various stages of enunciation and sound and gurgle and sighs. We don't talk with our souls but occasionally with our hearts, our brains and we see with our eyes and it still matters. They were our neighbors for a good while, a decent enough side trip on the road of life that could have gone on for a few more days. We talk of gathering again but it's that kind of talk that means well and will surprise you later if it comes true, not for any other reason than life itself. I will miss them.

16 comments:

painted maypole said...

i would like to move in next door to you. :) would you take me for hikes? I would talk to you with my soul

luckyzmom said...

This is going to sound stupid and I don't know how I got the idea, but, I have imagined, all this time, that you lived in NY,NY! Duh!

meno said...

This evokes in me the sadness that the transitory nature of our society brings.

Opportunities never seized, chances lost.

urban-urchin said...

It's hard to go through the transitions of life- moving, leaving friends behind, etc. I'm sorry.

PS- I did the soul window thing.... it's up now.

crazymumma said...

ships in the night. I hope you all remember each other well.

crazymumma said...

and....nice new space hon.

crazymumma said...

and....nice new space hon.

crazymumma said...

and....nice new space hon.

crazymumma said...

um. oh my. um sorry.

marymurtz said...

Being neighbors is so different now than it used to be. Your kind of neighborliness (that's so Mister Rogers sounding) is fast disappearing. You sound like a treasure. I'm sorry they are leaving.

QT said...

That is sad. I wonder where they are going to that will be more "normal" - you are a kind soul to have extended your hand in friendship.

Loving the new digs~

Aliki2006 said...

I love the new look!

thailandchani said...

The new site looks great. Best of luck with it.


~Chani

mamatulip said...

I wish we were neighbours.

heather said...

I read recently that even though most of us think that a change in scenery is the answer to hard times, it rarely is. I hope they find what they are looking for.

And I love the new look. =)

Kyla said...

I'm kind of in love with your new look.

Sorry your neighbors are leaving. I hope they find the normal they are looking for, if normal even exists. Sometimes I wonder. ;)