Monday, April 07, 2008

i dream of india

on those days, especially those days when everyone is sick and you are sick and you think perhaps just perhaps after a long weekend of sick you are going to have the house alone, deliciously alone because you are too sick to go to work come Monday and yet you find your child is also still sick and unable to go to school and your fantasy of lying on the couch all day alone, deliciously alone with the remote and your laptop and you watch it puddle on the floor and try as you might to catch it before it swirls down the drain, the dirty drain it slips past you and you find yourself on the couch decidely un-alone and you sigh and you realize it's nine am and you've got twelve hours to go before it's done.

it's then i dream of india, the heat and the diesel and the smells and the colors you've never seen and so desperately long to see and you'd give anything to be wandering the streets of a foreign city alone in the distant fierceness of your youth.

it's like that almost exactly.

today's the last day to send me your Just Posts, the Roundtable is coming up on Thursday. you can send them to girlplustwoATyahooDOTcom today and if you are kind, so very kind you'll also send me the perfect babysitter and a one way ticket to the east.

23 comments:

carrie said...

Oh, do I know.

I hope you feel better soon, friend. Keep dreaming - it'll get you through the day.

flutter said...

you need tea and a flutter. I dream of india frequently, walking through the pinks and blues and the heat. Mint tea and politics and mosques and the beauty of the music, the people, the sky.

KC said...

oh babe. I feel for you today. Get well, both of you...xo

Aliki2006 said...

Dream, dream, dream--they only come alive if you dream them.

thailandchani said...

Ugh! Yes. No time alone would start to make me crazy after a while. I'm with you on the ticket east. (I want to do the same.. just a different destination.) Wish I could send you one.

Beck said...

Everyone here has a cold and it's grey and raining outside. India sounds mighty nice right about now.

crazymumma said...

you and I we share this dream.

I hope you both get better soon.

mamatulip said...

I have this dream too. And you are in it.

Wishing wellness upon you.

Defiantmuse said...

I know these days/moments all too well.

India....Laos..Thailand...South Africa...they all call me back, often.

cheer up. There should be an arrival for you today which could help with the blues. and something for M, too.

kristen said...

i'm very protective of those few moments when i'm truly alone in the house, especially when i'm sick.
feel better. xo

Janet said...

Yuck. Feel better (and stay out of the grocery stores, 'k?)

Gwen said...

Dude, yes, the endless sickness is draining.

But, umm, you could all be sick in India, too. (I don't know why--maybe it's a life spent in SE Asia--but India has never called my name. Ever.)

Hope you are well and in control of the remote soon.

Ally said...

Ugh, I hate being sick and having a sick child simultaneously. Poor you.

Speaking of India, rent "The Namesake" if you haven't seen it already.

Kyla said...

Do you know what I dream of? Bookstores, without children. Wandering around Target without purpose. I? Am lame.

But I love the wanderer in you, friend.

capacious said...

This happened to me today too. I sent the sick kid to school so I could "work from home." But then my computer wouldn't connect and I had to go in since my last day is on Friday. I made sure to lick the telephones. If I must suffer, all must suffer.

patches said...

It's hard to indulge yourself illness when your little one is following in your footsteps. A moderately sick child is easier to manage than moderately sick husband. The husband whines more.

Denguy said...

Dearest Jen,

Get well soon, eh?

Yours in ailment, Denguy.

marymurtz said...

Oh girl, I feel your pain. I dream of bathtubs and clean sheets and a cat hair-free house. I remember a scary, scary like 180+ day stretch where I did not have more than 1 hour to myself at any time of day, ever. It was horrific. I had a day off scheduled from work and a good book, got on the sofa, and then hubby came home "sick" from work. I should have murdered him in the doorway. I just started weeping.

When you go to India, stay long enough to miss everyone. And have silence, sweet silence.

Jennifer said...

I dream of...Anywhere, some days. But, let me know if you do happen to want some company, after all, in India? Oh, yeah!

liv said...

except i dream of greece---a sugarcube of a white washed cottage, turquoise water, and the intense sun beating down over olive and pistachio groves.

Expatriate Chef said...

Oh, ouch. It's hard to heal when you are too busy taking care of someone else. Then, it's back to work with no rest. So sorry. I posted some soup for you.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

one way ticket in the mail today.... via the imagination express. (The babysitter was harder to conjour although if I was in your hood I'd offer.)

bgirl said...

india...so on my list.