Monday, May 05, 2008

one deer 7 banana slugs and a dead mole

It was our first deer. We walked around the corner of the trail and I spot her standing so lovely and inquisitive on the path. I grabbed M and lifted her up look baby, it's your first deer and her eyes light up but the deer wasn't one for adoring glances so off she went into the trees and out of sight. The day was near perfect, a bit chilly but we were on a lovely wooded 3 mile loop and M was rocking it without complaining, not even once.

We had a picnic by the creek, sitting on the rocks and it's there M finds her first banana slug and in quick succession 2-7, her exclaimations triumphant and resounding each time, only a toddler can find the same energy for the same thing over and over and yet she reminds me in those moments of what matters most. I pause on the rocks and dip my fingers in the cold water and I think of the water of my youth and of where I am going and for a brief moment it all feels crisp and clear and perfect too.

The mole was not so lucky, we found him belly up. Moles are extraordinarily cute, aren't they all puffy and grey and little fat flipper feet. We spent the rest of the hike with M needing to figure out how it died, how it died in a way that wasn't that bad. Maybe he was old mama, maybe that was it or maybe he fell out of the tree. I really don't think anyone hurt him mama do you? We debated these harsh realities until suddenly it was forgotten, the mist rising over the mountains and the promise of a snack at the end of the trail proved too alluring even for the mole.

And you'll all be proud to hear that for the first time since we've begun this hiking journey we did not run out of water. Finally and for the love of all things holy it's about time we are finding our groove.

Before you go hop over to my review blog and read about an eco-friendly game for the little ones. Because if we must consume, at least we can do it with kindness and less plastic. And lastly, oh people my people, send me your Just Posts to girlplustwoATyahooDOTcom, our April Roundtable is coming up soon.

Bookmark and Share

21 comments:

Z said...

The Sage found a toad in the garden the other day. I took it to show the children and they were thrilled. Poor mole, I love their feet like little spades. Whatever happened, I don't think he fell out of a tree, do you?

Blog Antagonist said...

Aw...such a tender heart. My boys always hated to see dead animals too. They would sob and sob.

kristen said...

A toddler and her thinking...there is nothing more exhilerating. I love the perspective that kiddies bring to my world, I feel really lucky.

My jury is still out about moles. I first saw one when it's weird little nose stuck out of our bark and snuffled around. It was startling actually - but those flipper feet, they are super cute.

QT said...

I know, I wish those deer would stand still longer, they are beautiful. It sounds like a great time.

Christine said...

sounds like a great time. and banana slugs are awesome!

Gina said...

We saw a dead mole this weekend, too. Unfortunately it was on our porch, having been "moused" to death by the cat.

Mrs. Chicken said...

I envy you these walks and the terrain. Here, in the flatlands, there is nothing much to see.

Pendullum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pendullum said...

My daughter at the age often still has fits of tears when she finds a dead animal...
A funeral is always planned and we(BoyWonder and I) have to bow and truly think of the loss...

Beck said...

We saw three deer, two rabbits and A BEAR on the weekend. My favorite animal sighting was a COUGAR we saw standing calmly on a rock last summer - a freaking cougar!

flutter said...

I love how aware and alert that little one of yours is.

Amy Y said...

We went hiking, too! Once I edit them, I have pics to proove it on my blog. ;)

We found something dead, too. It was a leg of some sort ~ I'm guessing deer or elk. My boys, while concerned about the animal, were much more interested in the "gross factor". *sigh*

Good on you for plenty of water! We ran out before we even made it to the state park.

Julie Pippert said...

What a sweet heart.

Bravo for getting the groove and having enough water. :)

It sounds like a good time.

meno said...

This is very sweet.

We found a mole on our doorstep this morning, but i don't think it died a tranquil death as the cat was smiling.

TEOM said...

We ARE proud!

kgirl said...

poor little mole. but banana slugs! i love banana slugs!

Kyla said...

KayTar touched her first slug this weekend. She was outside with Josh, but told me all about it.

"AGH! Scared-a me! Put it in you hands. Touch-a the swugga. Wike a WORMIE! Swugga is a WORMIE! So cute wittle wormie."

Glad you are finding your groove!

crazymumma said...

poor mole. Nature is harsh. No way that can be candy coated.

Janet said...

These hikes sound magical (and all the better when you don't run out of water).

Enjoy.

Magpie said...

Your title reminds me of that nice Tom Lehrer song that ends:

And there's ten stuffed heads in my trophy room right now,
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a pure-bred Guernsey cow.

ms chica said...

At least the deer was alive.