Saturday, May 24, 2008

walk with me

People have no idea, how could they really. They don't see the seething humanity that resides here every single day, our work so efficient sometimes you don't see it so how would you know but what if what if we weren't here. Every single day people are too sick too poor too ill too unable to walk too scared too unable for the streets and yet it's all they've got, the hot pavement and a windy afternoon, bundles of clothes and unwashed skin. And a few ports in the storm.

I told her I'd meet her there, if you have power to make decisions about allocating resources for my stuff I do all I can to get you there, you come perhaps reluctantly or with morbid curiousity or really you are just very lovely but no matter I practically insist and we walk, we walk and we walk and you see and you see and I watch your face, I watch you turn your eyes away but you are held hostage and I walk slower because it's a one way walk kind of like that cool furniture store and we are in the depths now and I hold on and hope you'll start to see it, the beautiful humanity amidst the desolation it always always shines through and then you do and I watch you slowly climb on the bandwagon, the face of this suffering is simply too much to ignore if you are standing right in the middle of it, I haven't met a person yet who can and yet still it's never quite enough.



Bookmark and Share

18 comments:

marymurtz said...

I don't know what to say except what I think every time I think of you and the work you do for humanity: that above most missionaries, preachers and other "Christian"--you do God's work every day. You do what people are supposed to do, but what most people are too squeamish and scared to acknowledge is the important and critical thing.

To change a life, to reach out to those in need, to show a love for humankind in the way you do, is to change the world.

marymurtz said...

I don't know what to say except what I think every time I think of you and the work you do for humanity: that above most missionaries, preachers and other "Christian"--you do God's work every day. You do what people are supposed to do, but what most people are too squeamish and scared to acknowledge is the important and critical thing.

To change a life, to reach out to those in need, to show a love for humankind in the way you do, is to change the world.

flutter said...

and this is what it is to be a hero, jen.

it's this.

kristen said...

because of you i walk a little closer and i pay attention.

QT said...

One of my favorite posts of yours...

Mad said...

What I wouldn't give to walk with you. Anywhere.

painted maypole said...

beautiful, and moving. this is what you do for us, your readers. you walk us through, help us see. Thank you.

Bon said...

i would like to walk with you, there, and to see.

and when you write it, i almost do.

hele said...

As things get mad here, and people start committing act that make me question their humanity I'll remember your words and try to let go of the judgment.

Aliki2006 said...

You open so many doors, you really do. And I'm always a firm believer in one person, one step at a time. It's all we can do.

Christine said...

you.

your heart.

your love.

it is so big that it makes my own heart burst when i read your words.

let's walk together sometime, friend.

Defiantmuse said...

not enough people give a shit. or they give a shit but not enough to actually do something about it. it's a very good thing you're in the world, dude. xo

Family Adventure said...

What a gift your blog is.

Heidi

bgirl said...

i think about all i wouldn't be thinking of all that i would turn away from and cringe at myself, thank you for you and for sharing it here in this blog.

NotSoSage said...

yes.

crazymumma said...

Is this us? Walking with you?

jen said...

mum, no. it was a woman who i was hoping would choose to fund a project. jury is still out on that.

liv said...

i think the think that disheartens me the most is when things like this have a temporary shock effect on people, and then somehow it's convenient or easy to forget. i don't get it. *sigh*