Tuesday, July 08, 2008

perspective

Kaliroz has a post up with a link to a diary being kept by clinic workers in Sierra Leone. I just finished reading most of it, from the man who cleans the clinic to the kids who don't have enough food to HIV to dying while giving birth. And once again I wonder why this isn't the stuff that makes headlines, the crises all around us, where kids and moms and dads are suffering every single day. And I sit here fat and content allowing trivial nonsense to corrupt my vision.

It's wrong. It's more wrong than there are words for, the suffering some people face in our world today while we sit idly by. Save the Children, a UK charity is working to help the kids in this particular slum and you can learn more by clicking here. Kroo Bay, where these beautiful people live is built on a pile of trash. Their homes are built on filthy refuse. There are no words for this. If you are compelled to donate to this cause let me know and I will do my best to match your donation. I have to believe every little bit helps somehow.

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Beck said...

It is very, very hard.
A friend phoned me crying today because her very, very tight budget, which has so far been able to cover the basics, no longer can. She literally has to choose between keeping her kids in shelter and keeping them fed.
Scary.

Kyla said...

I don't think I could take it, you know...if it was in the headlines all the time. I can't even stomach the news as it stands. But that isn't to say we shouldn't know about it, shouldn't speak up, shouldn't help. We should. We really should.

flutter said...

all of these unintended consequences of the decisions our leaders make.

*sigh*

carrie said...

Thank you. Thank you for being you and caring so much . . . it is contagious, your generosity, my friend.

Defiantmuse said...

This stuff does make headlines....in other countries. But here? Well you know how it goes....if it doesn't affect us and we don't benefit from stepping in or helping? Then why bother? or so the skewed American mentality of the masses goes. Gut wrenching and infuriating, isn't it? Fighting the machine is hard and sometimes I wonder if it will ever change. But it has to. Right?

Pendullum said...

My heart breaks....

PeterAtLarge said...

Thanks for this one. We do have to keep reminding ourselves and each other. I have a link to Save the Children on my site, and try to remember to keep sending those contributions. But it's hard. I must get fifty good cause appeals in my mail every week... Such things just have to become a global common cause: individuals are well and good, but all we can do is drops in the ocean of need.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I don't know what to say about this stuff. There is too much pain in the world.

(btw, the password is "covert" thanks.)

krista (the silent K)