Tuesday, July 01, 2008

walking on sunshine

We are both there watching the kids bounce. The inflatable house is rocking, the squeals of the kids is permeating everything, occasionally and often the parents and non parents alike look over and grin. Who can't smile at bouncing kids.

I don't know the woman next to me. She's older, in her late 50's maybe and just as I'm thinking it's time to do some bouncing myself she looks over it looks like so much fun. I ask her if she's ever been inside one of these things and she shakes her head oh no, I can't even imagine it, I'd feel silly.

Silly is relative, I say. The question is, do you want to bounce? She looks at me for a long minute and smiles. Yes. So we climb in, me and this woman I do not know and we start jumping amidst the kids, the little ones tumbling all over the place from our weight. We are jumping and I see her laughing, her face is full of joy and she's going from tentative little jumps to great big ones and she throws back her head in laughter. Now this, she says, this is really fun.

And I think she's so beautiful in this moment and I'm reminded yet again how precious this life is and simple it can be if we'd all just let ourselves bounce.


Bookmark and Share

30 comments:

wheelsonthebus said...

Yes and yes.

(Although I must admit I have been in those things and they make me dizzy...)

Her Grace said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the reminder.

Kyla said...

How fun. That was a gift.

the end of motherhood said...

Yup. A little bouncing lightens everything up.

liv said...

oh, bounce houses bring out the best stuff. you rule.

Lara said...

You are just one of the best damn writers I've come across in a long time.

QT said...

That is too sweet!

ms chica said...

Isn't it fun to say the words aloud that others are afraid to consider? Behaving like an adult 100% of the time is sooooo overrated.

Gwen said...

Amen, sister. More bouncing for all of us.

bgirl said...

so true. here's to the daily bounce.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Hey, I want to bounce too!

Magpie said...

Indeed.

I've given up feeling silly about anything. I hope that it doesn't come back - I do prefer to let loose.

hele said...

You bounce my heart until it breaks into a super big grin.

crazymumma said...

not to take the poetry out of your moment. But every time I jump or bounce I aways wish I had a better bra.

TZT said...

Yay!

meno said...

And damn if it isn't great exercise too!

painted maypole said...

beautiful post. one of the joys of having kids is an excuse to get into the bounce house (and other joys we've discarded in adulthood)

Blog Antagonist said...

Ahhhh, bouncing. One year, we rented one of those ginormous ones for Pubescent One's birthday. Husband and I snuck out after the kids were in bed and bounced our hearts out.

Bouncing makes me feel light and lighthearted.

My boys have a trampoline now, and I get out and bounce now and then. It's good for the soul.

Good for you for encouraging her to bounce.

ewe are here said...

I sometimes bounce on the little trampoline I found for the boys. Of course, it never lasts, as they always rush to join me. :-)

Amy Y said...

What a great reminder ~ thank you :)

I'd have gladly joined you, though me and my big ol' belly might have sent you all flying over the edge of that bouncy castle :)

Pgoodness said...

you are awesome - and beautiful for doing that for her

flutter said...

*happy sigh*

Tabba said...

hallelujah.

and amen.

blooming desertpea said...

My friend Daniel would say: "there has to be room for silliness in our lives or life would not be worth living."

Joker The Lurcher said...

oh babe. you speak it so true. it sure is not a rehearsal.

Amanda said...

You do lift us up, friend.

Yolanda said...

Bounce, indeed. Thank you =)

Bungi said...

Wow. I love the simple stories you tell...

Pendullum said...

So true...

Expatriate Chef said...

Oh, I so go in those every time I get a chance ... :)