Sunday, September 07, 2008

truth

More Community Organizers here. You'll be among good company, some of the finest individuals in the world believed that this is the way to make a difference for the people.

Margaret Mead said it best: Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Ironically, without community organizers Sarah Palin would have been given the opportunities she has today. Without women fighting for the rights to vote for other women, none of this would be possible today. Men would still hold all public office. Women wouldn't be voting. So think on this next time you want to demean the power of the people coming together to change our world.

And speaking of community organizing, today is the last day to send your Just Posts from August to girlplustwo(at)yahooDOTcom. The Roundtable is coming up on the 10th and everyone is welcome to join us.

Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Omaha Mama said...

It is so hard for one to know the truth, isn't it? With the amount of propaganda in a campaign? I can see where people get cynical and tired. Thanks for sharing some beautiful truth and I love the quote!
I admire your efforts and appreciate them.

Sizzle said...

That Margaret Mead quote fuels the work I do. Thank you for posting this.

TZT said...

Those are awesome.

I'm still shaking my head, trying to figure out what they thought mocking community organizers in a week with the theme of "service" was supposed to accomplish.

flutter said...

love you jen

marymurtz said...

OH YEAH, BABY!!!!

Excellent post, Jen.

Janet said...

Exactly.

Jocelyn said...

Any time I read words from Margaret Mead, I want to hand her a big plate of lasagna, give her a few minutes to eat it, and then cradle her unto my bosom on the couch for a few hours.

painted maypole said...

awesome! i just finally watched Palin's speech. Horrifying. "Actual responsibility????"""" Honestly, are you suggesting that community organizers do not take on AMAZING responsibilities? and later when she said that America is not a community that needs and organizer??? really? You don't see us as a community??? I don't want you in charge of me, lady.

can we steal that image to put on our sidebars or whatever?

Arwen said...

I get a little paranoid sometimes, and when I heard her say this, I felt that she was being a pawn for an agenda the promotes the individual to be ineffective. Don't organize. Volunteer but only on Thanksgiving and X-mas. etc...etc... I thought her speech was scary.
I love the poster.

Small Change said...

Right on!

liv said...

small town mayor, indeed. oy.

Judy Haley (coffeejitters) said...

I saw a quote the other day:

"Jesus was a Community Organizer; Pontius Pilate was a Governor."

I was raised by evangelical Republicans. This was the kind of quote that always got me sent to my room.