Wednesday, October 08, 2008

back in the saddle again

Everyone is back where they should be, a whirlwind trip south to fetch M, a late night airport pickup for J, I am suddenly chauffeur and mother, the quiet swirls past me like patchouli incense, I reach for it and it disappears.

I somehow expected it to be more profound. The longest I've been apart from my child, my partner, the longest we three have been in separate places, Truth be told I reveled in the alone, the return of the old. There were moments certainly, a longing so piercing it wounded but it was fleeting and in it's place a contentedness I've missed, the one that comes with only having to be concerned with oneself.

So it goes I suppose, and the reunion yesterday with my child was perfection and the plane trip home was noteworthy, she's a champion flyer, completely fearless and unabashed in her yelling for the Peanut Guy over and over much to his probable dismay. Tonight with J was profound in it's own right, a newness and a recognition, now I have four year old legs wrapped around my waist and strong arms around my shoulders and we bend together again like three trees attached to the same star, the light glows steadily shining our way ahead.


Bookmark and Share

19 comments:

mamatulip said...

Beautiful, Jen. Your writing is like poetry.

patches said...

Alone can be invigorating. reuniting the ordinary after being alone, makes the ordinary, extraordinary.

Janet said...

I sometimes think back to how I never reveled in the oneness before I had anything to compare it to. We need the constrast of together to truly appreciate the fleeting moments of alone.

Gwen said...

Welcome home to all three of you!

Kyla said...

I'm curious about this "alone" thing you keep mentioning. Sounds lovely, though. ;)

Glad everyone is back where they should be, and each got a bit of recharge time on their own.

Amy Y said...

Yes, welcome home.

hele said...

The dance between together - beautiful. I miss you. Four more weeks of exams and I will be a recent visitor again. Until then my heart wonders about you and your travels daily *

painted maypole said...

welcome home, all

bgirl said...

three trees, with solid roots and a strong reach. follow that shining star.

ewe are here said...

The last sentence, beautiful.

Glad everyone is home safely.

flutter said...

happy looks gorgeous on you

meno said...

it's perfect that you can enjoy alone and together. Both are necessary.

Madge said...

there is nothing sweeter then being back together.

QT said...

I'm with meno on this one...

crazymumma said...

welcome home all.

liv said...

You sound divine. Truly great. And that makes this girl hap-hap-happy!

Anjali said...

Glad you are all safely home.

Jocelyn said...

The tug between loving being alone and feeling only right when with my family sometimes strikes me as the way immigrants must feel: never completely at home in any country--yearning for the place they grew up but not wanting to leave the place they now live.

Ally said...

Yummy post.