Wednesday, October 01, 2008

it's oh so quiet

It's the first time in years I've been alone. Quiet. Not talking to anyone, doing as I please. I like it. I also like knowing it's temporary, that in a short while things will return to normal. It's almost ridiculous, how lucky that feels. To have this and to have that. Them. I miss them. But for now I will treat it as it deserves, a momentary break, a return to girlhood. Stay up late and watch crappy TV. Drink coffee at midnight. Or not. Talk to no one all night long. Cook what you want. No picking up after anyone. I ate a bowl of pasta with nothing on it but cheese but it was the fancy cheese and I ate it all. It's fun, this. It's like my old self came by for a visit and I'm not surprised at all to find she hasn't changed a bit. Maybe tomorrow we'll go out for drinks she and I. Maybe not. Maybe we'll read a book. It won't matter. This.


Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Magpie said...

Oh man, how I love those stolen days. You captured that perfectly.

Deezee said...

pretty delicious, eh?

bgirl said...

the quiet moments. the crazy free feeling it creates. shared and not. enjoy these. this.

Sheri said...

Alone and quiet. The lovliest words. Enjoy.

Janet said...

I'm envious of your quiet time with you. Enjoy.

QT said...

It's almost ridiculous, how lucky that feels. To have this and to have that.

Yes -lucky to have both, but deservedly so.

Pgoodness said...

ah...that sounds lovely.

Kyla said...

How does one achieve this? Inquiring minds need to know. ;)

Omaha Mama said...

I took myself to a movie about a month ago and it was fabulous. How great to finally be alone with myself and have a great conversation, just me and me.
Glad you are enjoying it too.

Jocelyn said...

When I was desperate and single and had nights as you describe, they were indications of how alone I was.

Now that I'm married and have kids, they're pure heaven, the biggest treasures.

How lovely for you!

mitzh said...

Those are moments that are rare and deserves to be appreciated.

Have a lovely time spending it!

Amy Y said...

I would love that for a couple days... I'm glad that girl you knew is still in there. :)