Saturday, December 06, 2008

about last night

I attended a somewhat fancy thing last night, something geared towards raising some money for those less fortunate as part of my work.  The place and people were lovely, but no matter what I feel at best like a stranger or at most like the woman who stands next to your table with her bucket of roses.  Roses, I say. Flowers?  And the nice people at the table, they size me up and nod.  A yellow one or two red ones, sometimes a brief shake of their head.  You can dress it up however you want but it is what it is.

One of the women there ordered very fancy champagne.  Being unmuzzled, I noted that I'd never actually had champagne of that caliber before and obligingly albeit with a brief look of shock, handed me a glass.  I held it in anticipation, the little bubbles and the crisp scent. I stood there amidst the din of drinks and laughter. I tasted it expecting fireworks, waiting for diamonds to sprout on my tongue.  

It tasted good but not as good as my 38 years of waiting might have suggested.  I wonder if I am lacking refinement.  I wonder if anyone really thinks about the Rose Girl, how she got there or how she's getting home. 

Bookmark and Share

16 comments:

Omaha Mama said...

I know what you mean. Don't you wish you could take what she spent on that champagne to the shelter? And maybe buy some blankets or something? It's great that they are raising money for a good cause, but I guess I am right there with you, lacking refinement. And I'm guessing it's okay with us both.

luckyzmom said...

I have never cared for champagne whether it is free or very expensive. I also think lobster is good, but I would rather have snowcrab. So, I save those expensive things for someone else who, for whatever reason, appreciates them more than I do. Everyone's palate is unique,yet we are all connected somehow.

amy said...

I don't understand the overindulged. They go to expensive fundraisers to be seen giving not for giving in itself. Thousands on weddings puzzles me also. Why not send a card to all invited saying in leu of our wedding our love is better symbolized by clean water, food, and medical care for a village in Africa? You are not just the Rose Girl. You are giving so much more than they are. You are giving yourself.

Anjali said...

It's so ironic, isn't it? What people do in the name of helping others.

flutter said...

doesn't seem that you lack refinement, seems that you have your priorities straight

Kyla said...

I agree with Flutter. Priorities, lady, you've got 'em right.

Maggie, Dammit said...

Yes, precisely what Flutter said.

In my life I have occasion to run with the richies quite frequently, though I am not of them. I am always struck by their utter disconnect to reality.

meno said...

I bet that champagne cost more than the flower girl got paid.

Border Explorer said...

I'm with you on this. This is why I sometimes do not go to fund raising events even though I do support the cause. I prefer to donate the money and skip the froo-froo.

wheelsonthebus said...

I like big parties, and I like dressing up. But there is a level of ostentation that makes me very, very uncomfortable. It must be much worse for you.

carrie said...

I know.

painted maypole said...

what Emily (wheelsonthebus) said...

Bon said...

a lot of "refinement" has always seemed to me to be the emperor's new clothes...

patches said...

Dude... I think it's already been said

Defiantmuse said...

I think we talked about this when y'all were here but I really don't understand spending insane amounts of money in order to raise money. Excessive much? but. yeah. dude. you would have had much more fun at the tiki bar. just sayin'. I drank my weight in rum drinks and stumbled back to G's mom's house where we had drunken sex on the aerobed. TMI?

Oh, The Joys said...

Why take me to a five star restaurant when I'm just as happy at the burrito joint, I always say.