Monday, December 08, 2008

spirity spirit

We were coming home close to M's bedtime when we decided to drive around a bit looking at the lights.  She sits in the backseat screeching stop daddy stop loooooooook every few moments as we careen through the darkened streets.  

Look mama, they have spirit!  The best houses get the moniker of Spirity Spirit!  

I suggest we drive through some nicer neighborhoods, assuming the richer folks will do it up. For what it's worth that was not the case, those fancy houses were bottled up tight.  Perhaps they save their cheer for the inside rather than the outside, I think as we drive. Or perhaps they are more energy conscious, the environment getting in the way of spirity spirit. In the working class neighborhoods, the ones near our house some folks have gone crazy, rooftops covered with Santa Landing Pads and bouncing Frostys and reindeer on the lawn with few baby Jesus' thrown in for good measure.  Our neighborhood, while not necessarily close does seem to do it up for the holidays. Halloween was the same, folks going all out.  It's kind of run down but it's perfect.  This outward display of emotion generates one of my own.

Our house isn't one of those.  We fall into the grinchy energy conscious camp with our one straand of low wattage holiday lights.  I wonder if it matters to M.  I consciously let that guilty thought pass.

The best house is the one where the folks have created a new version of the traditional two deer on the lawn.  This guy has ever so creatively placed one deer mounting the other from behind.  I can't help but laugh.  Now that's some Spirity Spirit. We drive past and I decide his house is my favorite one.  


Bookmark and Share

17 comments:

Indigo Virgo said...

Here in the 'hood where I live, there is not a lot on display. It's because of the diversity, though - not so many Christians. So, I get good authentic food in the local restaurants, but not so many lights.

ewe are here said...

We have a tree in the window and a wreath on the door, but no lights outside this year... just can't be bothered.

Magpie said...

I came home last night and my husband had put up the lights. I bought three strings of cheap (Target!) LED lights - so grinchy energy conscious, but so pleasing to me to have lights! On my house! It made it feel like Christmas, though I have no idea when the damned tree is going up.

Spirity spirit to you too.

Beck said...

My whole town is Christmas NUTS. You should see it. One guy has 15+ inflatable snowmen on his yard.
We take it easy with the lights, but we do put up lots of exterior faux greenery and big red bows and wreaths. Ho ho ho.

jess said...

Have you been to the one that has their light display coordinated to a radio station that plays carols? I can't remember the street, but it's off of Hollenbeck, between Fremont and El Camino.

meno said...

Deer doing it doggie style! What could be more spirity that that?

Omaha Mama said...

My little guy shouts, "Decowations!" at every single house. It's a lot and it hasn't gotten old yet. I don't think it will.

Anjali said...

I've seen the one mounting the other before. I laughed so hard I almost drove off the road.

Mayberry said...

Is anyone else chanting "We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit, how about YOU?"

Just me then?

flutter said...

that spirit is seriously spirity

Mad said...

The Indian reservation in town gets super-cheap power from the gov't. They give back to the community by going all ape-shit with the holiday displays. Every year, townsfolk drive up and down their streets oooo-ing and ahhhh-ing. Somewhere along the route, a group of children stops cars to collect for the food bank. It makes me feel all warm inside even if it is an environmental disaster.

mamatulip said...

Spirity Spirit?

I am so stealing that. *yoink*!

KC said...

I love 'spirity spirit'. It makes me want to get out the pom poms and break out the jazz hands.

QT said...

That's the kind of spirit I can get behind, if you know what I mean....

Defiantmuse said...

our neighbor set up a tree and lights and it's all sparkly and festive and Monkey went "Woooow" when she saw it. But here at home? Nada. Oh and if M's tree is still up for grabs we'll totally pick it up after Christmas.

Gwen said...

our whole neighborhood (minus our scroogetastic house) is a crazy cacophony of spirity spirit: lights, blow up thingies, lights, more lights. All we're missing is two deer .... uh, mounting, I think.

painted maypole said...

ha ha ha!

last year a house near us was dubbed "the incredible house" because it had no less than 30 lighted things (moving, inflatable, etc) in the front yard. so far this year it is still dark.