Friday, January 09, 2009

going to redneck country

I'm off to see her tomorrow, she who keeps taunting me with visions of frozen toes and mysteriously disappearing Mounties. Did you know that Canada supposedly has the best beer? But I think she means Moosehead and I don't have the heart to tell her that really isn't very good beer. Also, I hear it's cold up there but I figure people up north just like throwing the word minus and wind chill in front of numbers to scare us. I mean, do thermometers even work going backwards? And maybe the wind just needs to calm down. Is wind more nervous in Canada? I hear there are cheap prescriptions up there, maybe free health care and the wind should talk.

Oh, and I lost my only coat in Oregon last weekend. Do they hand them out for free in up there? They should. Free beer too.

It's a short trip but I'm bringing a big bag, I figure I'll covertly take a bunch of her stuff and then auction it off online and fund my trip to the jungle. Who's in? Anything in particular you are looking for? Just don't get your hopes up, I'm not sharing the Mounties.

Get ready, Canada. I'm coming and I'm serious about the beer. Calm down already. Can I borrow a coat?

Today is the last day to send me your Just Posts for December, all you have to do is share writing from you or others you appreciate about social issues to me at girlplustwo(at)yahoodotcom. It's also not too late to send us original just post hosts off right - all you have to do is read this and write a post about who and how you support philanthropy in your world. We hope you join us. The Roundtable will be up on Monday.


Bookmark and Share


23 comments:

Orangeblossoms said...

wish I could send you my coat.... thanks for remembering that I still blog-- occasionally. I hold you close.... not sure about visiting.... but am sure I will always read every word you write. Love, Orangeblossoms

hele said...

How I wish it was me you were coming to visit.

Anjali said...

Have fun. And hit up your local army surplus store for warm stuff.

Hetha said...

Have a blast! I'd say stay out of trouble, but that phrase doesn't jive with the redneck mommy does it?!

Madge said...

have a wonderful time..... stay warm...

Bon said...

as a proud Canadian, let me assure you our beer sucks. and with that, we welcome you!

find a coat. we're not kidding about the cold.

Redneck Mommy said...

You see the key to our beer tasting cold is we are so busy shivering that we are tricked into thinking all alcoholic beverages taste good. Any thing with liquor in it that will spread warmth through our limbs tastes damn good when your toes feel like they'll fall off.

Now, I'll bring you a jacket. But I'm bringing the ugliest damn one I can find just so I can laugh at you. Heh.

crazymumma said...

Dude. Fuck the coat. Find a comforter stuffed with down. triple down.

Duct tape it to your body and head. Encase your feet in big waterproof boots and put a sleeping bag over each one.

Tape a pillow to each hand and voila. You may just survive.

But you are not going to survive my attitude that you are not sidestepping to Toronto to visit ME!

Binky said...

I think you are being a little selfish with the Mounties.

Please tell T. I said hi!

mamatulip said...

It's -12 in my part of the Great White North, and she lives in the Cold Part of the Great White North.

Pack socks.

Kyla said...

Am jealous. ;)

Indigo said...

I hear despite the cold it's gorgeous country up that way.I don't imagine a Harley Davidson Leather would be enough for zero below weather...Enjoy the trip and adventure. (Hugs)Indigo

flutter said...

Dude! have fun, and eat some smarties for me :)

Defiantmuse said...

dude. y'all should totally make out. and then send me photos. whaaa? did I type that shit? yeah, I did.

Kelley said...

I don't understand the cold thing... we apparently have no concept of cold down here.

But you get to spend time with my girl? Give her a big smootchy kiss for me and steal her underwear. I need a ticket to the US for Blogher and I think her panties on Ebay just may do it.

Gwen said...

I'm glad you're getting to go finally. Have fun! Stay warm(ish)!

Wayfarer Scientista said...

they aren't kidding about the cold - it's cold! I'd send you my coat but since I'm traveling back to what of two days ago was a sunken needle on the thermometer (i.e. the thermometer only goes to -60F and it was colder) I'm gonna need it!! Have fun!

Cold Spaghetti said...

I'm freezing just thinking about you! Maybe part of those 'selling off her stuff' funds should go to sending her to the jungle in a few months? Don't Canadians love 95 degree heat with 99 percent humidity?

alejna said...

Have a blast. Send pictures of the coat she sticks you with.

carrie said...

That is seriously not fair. I hope you two have/had a great weekend and if you lose anything you can always stop in Washington on your way home and I'll gladly replenish whatever it was you lost...with some exceptions, of course! ;)

ms chica said...

I had something clever to say and then passed out from the sight of barney on your blogher sidebar...whoa there should be laws against that.

Have a good trip!

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia. I was in Canada recently. Don't worry about a coat. Just take your camera.

I shot almost 5000 pictures in a week!

Sandi McBride said...

Sorry but with the temps at 20 and promising 5, can you dig it, 5 for Saturday morning, I'm gathering coats down here myself! Congrats on the Post of the Day mention from David's...this post? Too funny!
Sandi