Tuesday, January 20, 2009

today is a beautiful day

During the glorious Inauguration this AM:

M: Mama, that's Barack!
Me: Yes baby. Today's the day. He's finally our president.
M: Why are you crying?
Me: Because today is a great day. Today is the first time a man who isn't white is President.
M: All the other Presidents were white?
Me: Yep
M: Well that's just silly. 
Me: Yes baby. It is.  And that's why I'm crying.  Because it's been so silly for so long and now anything is possible.  It's possible because of him and because of everyone who has come before.
M: Like maybe I can be President one day.
Me: Yes baby.  Yes you can.






Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Omaha Mama said...

What a moment. Hell yeah!

crazymumma said...

right on little M.

Janet said...

Yes.

painted maypole said...

yes.

i love it!

bgirl said...

tonight i felt the energy from one side of the country to the other as i woke up in seattle and rejoiced and landed in NYC to a resounding YES oh yes today is the day a new path unfolds.

bgirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mamatulip said...

My kids told me yesterday they wanted Barack to come over for dinner.

And you know...for a second, it seemed possible.

Janna said...

What a day for hope. Now children everywhere believe that it is possible and you CAN do anything regardless of the color of your skin. I'm very proud of our country.

carrie said...

U-huh.

Pretty sure my heart just exploded.

Mad said...

Someone on Twitter posted a video that takes all 44 Presidents and has their faces morph one into another. After I watched it I wanted to reply to her, "Holy shit! I never realized until now that THEY'RE ALL MEN!" I didn't b/c sarcasm is so often lost on Twitter.

Someday, M. Someday.

And now look at you fleeing the building just when the movie's getting good...

Magpie said...

I'm voting for her!

mommyknows said...

Amen!