Wednesday, August 12, 2009

just like that

It's surreal. I'm back and within being back 48 hours jumped in full time at work, I'm sleeping at a friend's house while M stays with her grandparents. J is still in the jungle so like a little triangle we make three points on a map with she and I reuniting on the weekends and I already can't wait.

It's strange how we envisioned doing exactly this as part of the way we make the jungle work and I am grateful for every moment of it but it's still very, very strange.

I'd bundled up my work clothes and stowed them in a box in the jungle six months ago and last week I opened them up and realized I had no shoes so I went shopping the day after we arrived and got a kicky pair of heels. Ruby slippers M calls them and I wore them on my first day and within a half hour I was nearly crippled, blisters and suffering and now that I'm out of the jungle and even the shelter it's harder to walk around barefoot and so I suffered all day until the second it was time to leave.

As soon as I walked out of the elevator the shoes came off and I walked city blocks barefoot and as I did I noticed suits glancing down amidst the after work rush. The urban jungle makes me smile, I feel the rush of the bodies and the go go go and I smile at the man on the corner with the big sunglasses and the boombox on his shoulder, Cruel Summer blaring out of it with satisfying irony and I dance a little as I go.


Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

Magpie said...

You sound jazzed. Cool.

alejna said...

I love the way you write. You capture moments so well.

I hope your feet have recovered! Be kind to them.

Amber said...

Oh, the shoes. I always fall for cute little heels but I absolutely can't wear them. I hope that your feet are feeling happier.

Lara said...

I needed to smile today. Count on you to make it happen!

Omaha Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I have a pair of ruby slippers like that.....beautiful creatures not meant for my feet. I've been known to ditch my shoes as I leave work and walk across campus. Sometimes it's just necessary!

Omaha Mama said...

Go spring for some kicky flats. Granny flats with support. Oh - and welcome back! :0)

krista said...

i cannot get the image of you walking barefoot in the city out of my head. and i don't even know what you look like. :-)

flutter said...

*waves*

Gwen said...

Welcome back. May the rest of the stay be more comfortable than those damn shoes.

thailandchani said...

Still here. Reading. I'm thoroughly enjoying this adventure of yours.



~*

tgreenidge said...

I can imagine you walking in the streets no shoes!! People were probably thinking you were out of your mind.

QT said...

Wondering how the transition "back to the mainland" is going...;)