Wednesday, March 03, 2010

bags of rice

I dropped my Ipod in some water and didn't realize it for a bit so it sat there. Like it was taking a bath. Or swimming. When I realized what I'd done I grabbed it, frantic. I ripped off the case and dried it off, a used a blow dryer, paper towels. A friend told me to put it in a bag of rice and do not try to turn it on. I tried to turn it on anyways. Nothing. I put it in the rice and tried to forget about it. I accepted defeat.

A very good friend of mine just learned her husband has been having an affair. As cliche as it is, its not something she ever saw coming. None of us did. Not him. No way. Not like this. Not in a cheap Lifetime movie sort of way. It's ripping apart their family and sadly, those of us who love both of them. Or used to. Its Day Three since she's learned and already so much has changed. People surprise you. They break your heart. They turn into cliches.

I took my Ipod out of the rice today. Expecting nothing, I pressed the keys and it turned on. It plays just fine. Rice. Like the kind we used to throw at weddings before it all became so politically incorrect. All of a sudden I hate the rice that fixed my Ipod. But rice, just like us, is just along for the ride.


Bookmark and Share

14 comments:

Omaha Mama said...

I like your posts. I miss them too. Good to see you here, even under such cruddy circumstances.
:-(
We were actually IN ON a revelation of this kind of some very good friends this past summer. As in, we were with them when the wife found out. I can't really talk about it anywhere else, but am totally spilling it here apparently. Any way, I could vomit right now just thinking about it. Amazingly, they've made it through and are committed to their marriage again and it's been pretty horrible and great to watch all at the same time. It took me six months to get over being so mad at the guy that I couldn't look at him. And you are so right about the whole cliche thing, that's just what it felt like. Then this fall, another friend found out his wife had cheated on him. Now they're working through it and yuck! I guess this stuff is bound to happen the older we get, but it sucks! All the same.
Done babbling now. This topic gets me pretty fired up I guess.

Cold Spaghetti said...

Ipod in rice? Wha...? I'm totally checking up on why this works. Fascinating.

Amber said...

Seriously, next time do NOT try to turn it on until it's totally dry. If there's still moisture in there it can fry the circuits. I speak as an electrical engineer.

And the cheating revelation sucks out loud. It's just awful how in no time at all your whole life can fall apart.

krista said...

killing birds by throwing grains onto the heads of committed lovers. there's a metaphor in there somewhere that has everything to do with the magic ipod moisture suckage.

sometimes everything we believe to be beautiful just plain sucks us dry.

Kyla said...

Glad your iPod is fixed. I wish your friend's marriage had fared as well. Those kind of things seem to come out of nowhere and consume everything in their path. So tough.

cheekyketek said...

It's when you get on the inside of shit like this that you realize there are no cliches. Just life. Just people, every one capable of every thing.

心好男孩 said...

青春一逝不復返,事業一失難有成。........................................

a li'l bit squishy said...

I wish I had said what cheekyketek said. The same thing happened to a girlfriend of mine 18 months ago. Devastating. And I don't mean about the iPod.

painted maypole said...

the rice trick worked on my iphone when I dropped in the gutter last fall, and left it there, for over an hour. had no idea.

but I would much rather have no idea that my iphone was in the gutter than my marriage.

i fear that, sometimes. don't we all?

過分 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE ........................................

Kelly said...

Such a painful discovery, and I cannot imagine that feeling of betrayal. I hope your friend finds some peace, however it makes its way to her.

bgirl said...

oh damn...yet one never knows do we. how it will begin or how it will end or begin again. i've seen it go both ways with some i hold dear. best to just keep on and let things unfold as we believe they can.

Jocelyn said...

I have no idea how I managed to go missing as a reader of your blog some time back, but I've found my way here again, and I'm so glad. Your posts always inspire me or make me laugh or nod my head and so, well, HI again, honeygirl.

Liv said...

Nobody ever expects it: the affair or that rice will fix their ipod.

The dicey bit is where I am: with an ipod that doesn't hold its charge. And, I don't want the goddamn metaphor for marriage at 36 weeks pregnant.


xoxo